REFRIGERATOR - Freezer cold but refrig. not

I have a 10 yr old Montgomery Ward Refrig. side by side. The freezer is cold as normal but the refrig. is 50F(should be 35 - 40). I have tried the following but would appreciate any advise that might point out something I am missing. This advise might lead me to a simple repair other than replacement of parts by a repairman. 1.The black compressor and fan in the bottom seem to be working. 2.The coils in a black (toaster size box seems to be clean). It would be difficult to clean them. 3.There are no coils visible to clean in the rear (the back is completely enclosed) or on the bottom. 4.The valve that lets the cold air blow via an operating fan from the freezer to the refrig. seems to work. 5.There is no visable ice/frost anywhere.
How do you clean the coils if there is nothing visible - remove the back plastic panel? Any advise or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Stromer2) wrote in message
Hi,

Might be time to remove the freezer back wall, inspect the cooling coils and let us know what you see....ball of ice, 1/2 frosted, completly bare, completly frosted over, ect.
Some common trouble makers..... http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Usually yes, often is a carboard like cover to remove at the back bottom and -some- more access from the front bottom.... http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

Stromer2 wrote:

I'll second the frosted over evaporator coil suggestion. You may have a bad "defrost timer" or "defrost heater" which has enabled that to occur.
If you can't or don't want to try opening things up enough to see if there's ice on the cooling evaporator coils, and you can arrange to live without a refrigerator for a day. try this:
Turn the temperature control to OFF or disconnect the unit from the power line, remove all the foodstuff from the interior and leave both doors open.
If you can spare the time, playing a hair dryer around the inside and trying to blow some warm air up through the openings which that feed cold air into the freezer will speed the defrosting up. (Be careful you don't get things hot enough to start softening plastic.)
If an iced up evaporator is causing your problem, be prepared to empty the drip pan a few times, LOTS of water will probably come out, more than the pan can hold. When water stops coming out, it's time to reconnect or turn on the refrigerator again.
If that cures the problem, but it returns in a few weeks or so, you'll have to start checking the defrost timer and defrost heater.
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Stromer2 wrote:

Turn it off for a day. You have ice blocking the passage from the freezer to the fridge.