Refrigerator Fan sudden noise

Last night we had a power failure that lasted about 2-3 hours or so. (The refrig was not opened during the failure). Our 2004 Whirlpool/Kenmore Energy Star 21.6 cu ft refrigerator started making a strange noise after the power was restored. The source of the noise was the fan in the freezer compartment (evaporator fan). By applying pressure to the plastic guard in front of the fan, the noise could be worsened or made better. I would try to stop the noise, only to have it return later. By this morning the noise was gone completely, and even trying to move the guard doesn't cause it to come back.

The noise sounded as if the fan blades were striking something. I don't think they were striking the plastic fan guard. Is it possible that some frost build up during the power failure caused this? Is there any risk of damage that could have occurred to the refrigerator? It seems be working perfectly at the moment. (2 more months of warranty coverage).

Thanks!

Reply to
Terry H

Hi,

Above does little to ID the refrigerator.

Possible a chunk of ice or such fell into the fan area and the fan was hitting it.

Frost normally won't built up when the unit is not running.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

G'day,

Condensation could have built up on the fan blade from being cold and then warming up causing the noise(s) as well.

Yupper.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

The model number is 106.64252400 Have you ever heard of something like that happening? I'm at a complete loss to explain what happened. The ice cube trays were filled just prior to the power failure. I agree, it doesn't make sense that ice would build up when it isn't running, but it is strange that the fan noise began immediately after the power failure and continued on and off for several hours. It's been running fine since. (I hope :)

Thanks!

Reply to
Terry H

You ought to take advantage of the warranty to assure the defrost timer doesn't need replacement.

I had a similar problem with a frost-free freezer: the inner coils froze up because the defrost timer had stopped and the fan was hitting the ice. A kind neighbor told me to find the timer on the bottom back corner of the fridge. Since it was a good 'old mechanical timer like a clock motor, a twist and shake got it running again.

Reply to
Jeff Jonas

My GUESS is that the bearing in that fan is starting to fail. After being off for a while the grease on it became much thicker and after a while warmed up a bit.

Put in a service call. You MIGHT unplug the box a few hours before the tech is due.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg