Refrigerator dying?

I have an older Kenmore (no idea how old, but it's starting to rust) refrigerator, freezer on top. When I open the freezer door, I'm hit in the face with a blowing mist which is churning out from the top unit. I realize this is how the freezer keeps stuff cold, but it seems much more than usual. The refrigerator also seems to be running almost constantly. I know that this thing could be an major energy sucker--is there any way to tell if it's on its last legs short of a visit from the appliance repair guy? Thanks! Kirsten
There is a fan that may have failed so it's not blowing the cold into the refrigerator section

get a new one you could save 20 a month in electric, better return than putting your money in the bank.
My brand new one does that.
Is it humid in your house?

k conover wrote in message ...

Any "mist" you see if likely the cold air condensing the moisture in the warm room air as they meet.

A plugged condenser coil can cause that on forced air (fan by the compressor) models. Such a refrigerator's condenser should be cleaned several times a year, more if you have pets. Doing so will ensure the fridge is working as well as it can while consuming the least amount of energy,

If it is cooling properly (by the sounds of it it is), it shouldn't be "on its last legs".
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+fridge
=~~~~~~

This is Turtle.
Any freezer that is blowing out zero degrees air out into a warm room will make foggey mist of moisture that will feel very damp & cold air. Now mostly on humid days.
TURTLE