Refrigerator compressor is hot but system is not cooling

Just looking for some guidance. My refigerator stopped working. It stopped working over a very short period of time. Yesterday it worked .. today it does not. The compressor seems to be getting power because it is hot, but none of the tubing coming out of the compressor is hot. I think the relay has power coming out of it. When I turn the temperature controls I hear it click at some point while making it warmer. The coils had a lot of lint on them which I have cleaned.

By the way the refrigerator is a 4 years old Kenmore side by side and purchased from Sears. They can come look at it in a week.

Any help is greatfully appreciated ... Michael

Reply to
Michael

Try

for troubleshooting

Good reason not to buy from Sears. If it is not the sealed system you can plan on paying for the service call and repairs. If it is still under the warranted part you will be OK, but still have to wait a week. My local dealer would be her the same day.

Had a freezer die on me. Dealer came out and it was not worth fixing. He could not get me the unit I wanted until the nest day so they brought me a used freezer to use overnight, helped transfer the food, them bough the new unit the following day. Helped transfer the food to the new on. Price? About $25 more than the discount places. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If the compressor is getting power but not starting, someone with the proper tools (compressor test cord, ammeter, etc.) will need to check it out to see if the problem is the compressor itself or the relay and/or overload protector.

Well if it is the compressor itself, it should be under warranty and Sears will have to be the ones to do the repair. If it is only the compressor's relay and/or overload it will not be warranty in which case any service company should be able to do the repairs.

I suggest you get the model number off the fridge, find out how made it for Sears and call the manufcturer's factory service outlet to have it checked out. There's a good chance they may be able to repair it on the spot.

*If* it turns out to be the compressor, then you can have sears come and replace it under warranty.

You can find tips for locating the model number on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below. You can then find out whom made your particular one in the "Who Makes What" section of the same 'Repair Parts' section.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi,

*Sounds* like it is not running, any clicking from the compressor itself? Fans running?

Model#?

simple things to check for.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The compressor is not making any sounds but it is quite warm.

The model number is 106 59592992.

The compressor seems to be a sealed system. The relay seems to plug into the compressor and the compressor has 3 prongs coming out of it. When I put a voltage meter into the relay (which has 3 small round holes) I get a reading of 220 with the black lead from the volt meter in the bottom hole of the relay and the red lead in each of the top holes of the relay. I think the compressor is getting power.

I left the refrigerator unplugged for a long time and plugged it back in. It still does not work which would mean it is not an icing of the condenser problem.

Reply to
Michael

Hi,

A Whirlpool built kenmore.

Yes, it should be.

I hope not 220 volts AC, by the parts breakdown for the model# it shows a 115 volt compressor.....any electrical work done recently?

The condensor is the hot tubing underneath. If you get *proper* power t othe compressor and no go would indicate a compressor problem and should be covered under the 5 year system warranty.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I have not had any electrical work done. Jeff I must say that I am not sure as how to test the power. I have a friend that is an electical engineer and he said it should not be 220. Would you tell me what to expect from the ac meter relative to the 3 holes in the plug to the compressor? I think that by virtue that it is hot, it is getting power and that the compressor is broken. We have an appointment for next Saturday. We have an outdoor freezer and bought an ac/dc ice cooler to get us through the week.

Reply to
Michael

Hi,

110-115 volts AC is correct power. One wire should go to overload ( black and white part ) and one power wire goes to the relay ( brown part )....two more wire come to the relay and they are from the run capacitor. The relay should have 1 wire terminal on one side and 2 wire terminals on the other side. Measure between the overload and the relay side with 2 wires.....should read 110-115 volts AC.

I tend to agree!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff