Refrigerator Compressor Fan

Two weeks ago, my new refrigerator was delivered. I noticed that it was making odd noises, so I called Sears. The repair guy noticed that the fan was not working, and the noise was from the compressor getting too hot and straining. In fact, the fan was completely off, having never been attached during assembly. So he attached it and now the unit works fine. But my question is whether having run the refrigerator for two weeks with no fan might have harmed the compressor or shortened its life. I would consider asking Sears to replace it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Reply to
Ross Payne

Hi,

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The compressor has its own limit 'thermostat', and would've been doing what we call 'short-cycling' on and off on that to prevent major damage. I've seen them do this for quite a while with no apparent ill effects (usually when the condenser coil's allowed to get clogged with lint).

In any case, you have a 5 year warranty on the compressor, and many aren't lasting that long anyway , especially if they're the rather famous 'Embraco' brand.

That's my $.02 worth. Hope it's of some help to you.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

This is Turtle.

This may have put a little wear on the compressor but as service work goes it is not really a big deal as to causing problems in the future. One thing you may want to concider here. If the compressor can make it throught 2 weeks of short cycling. You know you have a good compressor to make it throught it. If it will not fail under a test like this you may want to keep this one for it being run through a very hard testing of it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks to both Turtle and Dave for responding. I'm inclined to just let it go. It is disappointing to learn that some compressors aren't lasting 5 years. I have a GE fridge that works fine with a 14-year old compressor.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Payne

This is Turtle.

A G/E refrigerator made 14 years ago was made very soundly. I would expect maybe

25 to 30 years out of it. Now a refrigerator made today I would expect and that is hopefully you may get 10 years out of them. Now the only one I would expect maybe more than 10 years out of would be a Whirlpool or Roper brand. Now also they have cheapen thier stuff up but I think it has not effected the longivity of their equipment yet but still looking.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE