REFRIGERATOR: Compressor Burned out

Compressor on refrigerator burned out.
Replace?
Repair?
It's 6 yrs old, this is the first incident.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

    I hope whoever diagnosed your problem is reputable. It is indeed rare to have a compressor on a refrigerator fail in six years. Anything is possible, but it is very unlikely.
    That being said, if you paid a lot of money for the frig, it might be worth the repair if needed. Most repairs of such major problems do not justify the repair, a replacement unit is wiser.
It would depend. If it's a built-in, definitely. As someone said, it might not be the compressor. I had Kitchen Aid Authorized Service come to my house and tell me that "because this compressor/etc. it 5 years old, it will cost me $1500 to replace it." No diagnostic .... Didn't even look at it that closely. BTW, the fridge is now working with NO REPAIR. I think it iced up, for some reason and the ice blocked airflow completely. I told him about the water, etc. My guess is that the timer stuck or something like that. I would never trust them again.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Uh, we had a fire and the department had to be called.
Art Todesco wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

In that case, I suspect your insurer will have a say.

Good Grief!
Buy a vowel.
Give us a hint.
What kind is it?
How much when new?
Unless it is a high dollar fridge, just chuck it and buy another. I have not had any positive experiences with refrigerator repairs. Used ones can be had for under $100 if you just need a "fridge". More if you need a nice one, or a side by side, or it has to match the kitchen color scheme.
I, personally, have a garage "fridge" that I bought at a yard sale for $60. It is a side by side, and takes a lot of the load off the kitchen fridge, and gives lots of extra storage space so the kitchen one isn't so full and the mayonnaise falls on your foot every time you open the door.
Handy for soft drinks and adult beverages, too.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Sound practical advice. Thanks

Also, the new ones, like hvac units work so much better that they will save you money on electricity. Buy one with a high rating, within reason.
Steve