Refrigerator collecting water?

sounds like the drain line from the automatic defrost is blocked. The water is from the automatic defrost not draining to the evaporator pan, but instead coming straight down the back of the refrigerator. You could try turning it off for a few hours to let the freezer defrost completely and see if that will unblock the drain line

Reply to
MadonnaC

Blocked drain line...probably a sticker that fell off a bread package or some such...

Reply to
Savvy 1

I have a 30-yr-old Kenmore automatic-defrost fridge with freezer compartment at the top that suddenly started generating pools of (clean-looking) water on the floor of the fridge, just below where the produce storage bins are.

Everything still seems frozen nicely in the freezer. I don't have an icemaker. Nothing has died in the produce bins. There is no connection to either a water source, nor is there a drain line.

Where do I start looking? What might the problem be? TIA

Reply to
Frogleg

If you pop off the left lamp cover, you'll see a little white drain funnel, next to the tstat, that pulls straight off. That's usually where the drain clogs were on these.

I'd take that funnel to the sink and wash it out, then hold a wet-vac hose (I use the smaller 5 or 6 gallon size) to the drain hole the funnel fits into and run it to backflush any 'gunk' out of the line down to the drain pan. A rubber squeeze bulb's handy, too, for forcing hot water down the drain from this point if it's really stubborn.

Cleaning the funnel usually did the trick on the older ones. In some cases the drain freezes up in the trough under the evaporator, but that was somewhat rare in the older WPL/KM's, for whatever reason. If that's what you find, there's an easy fix for that, too. Talked about that in the October, 2004 issue of my newsletter:

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

freezer

of

where the

connection

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Geez -- what did people do before the 'net?

Thanks to all. I will check drain and report. My 'thanks is real and most grateful.

Reply to
Frogleg