Refrigeration Question

Page 1 of 2
We have a commercial 3 door refrigerator that will not stay running. It has gone through many compressors, including a brand new one last time. The accumulator/filter is plugged and there is black oil coming out of the line. This does not seem right. I know there needs to be oil in the lines, but I doubt it needs as much as was dripping out of the line and I question whether it should be black. Are my assumptions correct so far? My thought was to get the compressor replaced and find some solution to clean out the lines from the oil and dirt in them. I don't think that a vacuum pump will do the job of cleaning out all the oil and junk. Is there a solution (liquid cleaner to wash out the lines) available and where would I get it?
Does the oil leak out all the time, or just when the unit is running?
Does the oil smell like anything? For example, cherry pits, licorice, or asphalt driveway sealer?
This will help us identify the problem.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Michael Dobony wrote:

Have you had anyone who knows about commercial refrigeration look at your refrigerator? There are several products used to clean out a system after a burnout and acid neutralizing filters should also be used on both the liquid and suction lines. GEEZ! Get someone other than Leroy The Fridge Repair Man to fix your box.
TDD
Michael Dobony wrote:

Sorry, almost forgot, here's a link to a product I use
http://tinyurl.com/lk2uq3
TDD
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:04:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Thanks!
Methinks I smelleth a trolle!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

thou smelleth thyself

has
question
I would replace the refrigeration guy.
The lines have to be as clean as possible.
I think that acetone and compressed air should do the trick as far as cleaning is concerned. Prior to charging the system, they need to do a complete leak check and then pump down to works to remove all water that might be left in the system.
--

Roger Shoaf

If a hermetic compressor shorts out (electrical windings) and burns up, it can decompose the refrigerant to other chemicals. As to dark oil, not likely. But in any case, the chemicals are still within the sealed system. They used to make acid absorbing filter driers, but those are also part of the sealed system.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I unplugged the clutch relay on a friend's SUV, banged it against a metal bracket and plugged it back in. It's been working ever since.
TDD
Percussive maintenance. You da man!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher,
It appears from the original post that the system has been unsealed several times, so the original integrity of the system is suspect IMO. If the capacity of the acid absorbent in the dryer was less than the amount of acid that remained in the system after the several times the compressor had been changed, I would suspect that this might be the cause of the black oil.
In the times that the unit had been serviced, someone may have also used the wrong oil or refrigerant, or perhaps recharged the system with contaminated refrigerant.
Now that the system is open, it seems to me that all of the crud that may in fact be in the lines should be cleaned out so the unit can be returned to reliable service.
Or you could be correct and the whole thing is a hoax.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:34:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where do you get this sealed trash? Look at a system and you will see it has lots of disconnects. It is NOT sealed. Quit your ignorant trolling!
Sealed, as in vapor tight. That's where I get that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:16:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So because it is vapor tight one can't disconnect a flare connection and run something through it? You are a troll.
Very few store owners disconnect flare lines, and look for black tar substance within.
You're responding to an old thread.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:47:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What does store owners have to do with anything? How does being a store owner relate to being a "sealed system?" Why are you so scatter-brained?
The original post was written by a store owner, if you hadn't noticed. I'm so glad that you hurl insults and look foolish. Please, sir, may I have one more?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:53:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No,I did not notice that I was a store owner, and even if i was, how does that create a "sealed system?"