refrig door inside perimeter rubber seal

i've got a rental home that the tenant told me that the refrig door seal that goes around the inside door perimeter is separating at one bottom corner. It is in the bottom corner where the door handle is located above. If it matters the refrig is about 4 to 5 yrs old and I think a GE.

Is there any special glue that will fasten the back of this seal to the door perimeter well enough to take the tension when the door is opening or does the seal need replacement? I have not really seen this seal close up.

Reply to
Observer

If its tearing, it's probably brittle and not sealing properly. It needs to be replaced-- an easy job. Also, they're much cheaper if you buy one from a local appliance parts place rather than from the refrigerator dealer or manufacturer.

Reply to
Joseph Capgras

Do you mean separating from itself? Cracking and opening? Or separating from the door?

Oh, from the door. Absolutely. I think for this, I might use

5-minute epoxee in the syringe. I guess epoxee glue alsmost always comes in a syringe now instead of just two separate tubes. It might not stick so well to straight vinyl but I think in back of the gasket there is some stuff that's not vinyl. If I'm wrong, the GE silicone sticks to vinyl, I think.

Note that the cap is only meant to go on one way, but if you try to put it on the other way, you'll mix a little of the A with the B and a little of the B with the A and ruin every

But they are still expensive, right? I only saw a price for the universal gasket, that one has to (partially) cut himself into four attached pieces. And it was 60 dollars or so iirc. Strikes me as a lot.

Written when I thought separate meant split open:

What would make a 4 or 5 yo gasket start to separate? I think mine was 20+ years old before it started.

BTW, if it's not brittle or it's sealing sufficiently, I woudl try some white or clear GE silicone (not because it's also GE!, but because they make it.) I wouldn't fill up the inside because then it won't compress enough, as much as the rest of hte gasket, when the door is shut, and it will hold the door open.

Is the tenant just notifying you or does he want it fixed? Is it leaking cold air out, hot air in, or if not, would he tolerate your not fixing it at all? Would he use that as license to not to take good care of the house himself? My gasket is split on the outside for a 5 or 6 inches, but in one piece on the inside. No air gets in or out, and I don't think conduction transfers any heat either. I haven't priced a new gasket locally, but I plan too now. Still, other than pristine appearance, I don't think I'm losing anything.

Reply to
mm

I have used silicon rubber to rebuild/fix a torn gasket. Just use a piece of saran wrap wherever the silicon would touch something that you do not want it to stick. You can peel the saran wrap off after the subber ddddcures.

Reply to
hrhofmann