Refridgerator - repair or replace?

We have a 6-year-old Whirlpool refrigerator which stopped cooling the other day.
Actually, it cools to about 50 degrees, and the compressor output line is not hot, which it should be. Are these worth repairing? An equivalent replacement would cost about $800. I'm not crazy about considering this a disposable item after 6 years. I have had similar units that ran way too long after they fell out of style (Avacado anyone?). Anyone had a compressor replaced lately ?
Thanks, Rex
Rex in Fort Worth
I sent this (or something close) a week or so ago, did not think it had posted. Disregard please, unless you have something new to add. My apologies, and thanks again for the input.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:43:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote:
|We have a 6-year-old Whirlpool refrigerator which stopped cooling the other day. | |Actually, it cools to about 50 degrees, and the compressor output line is not |hot, which it should be. | Are these worth repairing? |An equivalent replacement would cost about $800. I'm not crazy about |considering this a disposable item after 6 years. I have had similar units |that ran way too long after they fell out of style (Avacado anyone?). | Anyone had a compressor replaced lately ? | |Thanks, Rex | | |Rex in Fort Worth
Rex in Fort Worth

It might at least be worth having someone take a look at it and tell you exactly what the problem is. No way we can really say much without that information.

In most cases yes but it depends on the exact symptoms and cause in your case. You can read about some of the common causes for that condition at the following link:
My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem? http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDe9

There's little use dwelling on the worst case scenario IMO. Check out all the possibilities before jumping to conclusions.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+fridge
=~~~~~~
I'm with you, Dan. I'd be thinking defrost problems, or evap fan.
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
| |My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the |problem? |http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDe9 | |> Anyone had a compressor replaced lately ? | |There's little use dwelling on the worst case scenario IMO. Check out |all the possibilities before jumping to conclusions.
Dan Good advice, I'll check that link and proceed.
Thanks! Rex in Fort Worth

Let us know how you make out or if you have any specific questions about your fridge you need answered.
BTW. If you need any more help posting the fridge's model number so we can see how it is designed would likely help. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+fridge
=~~~~~~
Dan The how-to's on this site helped me determine that the compressor was fine and that the likey culprit is most likely the defrost timer (which I have not located yet). Compressor seems fine, fridge is cooling. Thanks much, you saved me a lot of money.
Rex B Rex in Fort Worth
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in message

Hi,
Have a model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.
We may be able to look up where the defrost timer is :)