refridgerator defrost

Trying to get companies to start making these things right. The defrost cycle should be selectable and NOT the time delayed method. You do not want the thing to defrost when its hot and kids are using it. Its best done while people are asleep or not using it. The temperature will rise in the freezer to at least 20 degrees and more, for a half hour during defrost. I just ran a week long test. I always suspected that freezers i have used go too far into extremes. Anybody who eats ice cream knows that the cream is a lot softer after a defrost cycle. With more equipment using digital processors, refrigerators should not be from the ice age. My actual test was far from worst case. I did not open the doors during defrost. gs

Reply to
zekor

They used to do that, and stopped because if a power outage occurred the clock would get off and the unit would appear to be broken as it shut down in the daytime. With todays technology (wireless atomic clocks for one, bios clocks with battery backup for another) there is no reason not to bring it back. My Monogram is now on a 6 hr timer, ti used to be 10 hr but that just didn't get it, so I upgraded(?) it.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

My defroster on my side by side comes on twice a day. Current jumps from 2.6 amps to 5 amps. When I really overload the freezer, the defroster is still not enough and ice doesn't get completely melted in the evaporator coil area. So about twice a year, I defrost the coils with a hair dryer

. I'm getting a chest freezer to hold the overflow.

Reply to
DK