Refinishing wall? ? ?

I recently moved into a new apartment which had a very peculiar bathroom wall finish -- a sort of rose-pink in color, but seemingly given a thin coat of whitewash. Also, the surface is pitted.
I have a feeling someone spent a lot of money making this mess, and I'll have to spend a lot to clean it up. I doubt of a coat of spackling would do the job.
To see what I'm talking about, see this page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6u2e5/wall.htm
Any ideas welcome.
no photo came up
Sorry, I botched the web page -- try this link.
http://www.guilfordnews.com/wall.htm

It is a finish that is done by painting the wall white, then using a glazing liquid, wiping it off the highs.
You can paint over it with a single color if you wish unless you really dislike the texture. You could paint the room white and reglaze with a glaze color of your choosing.
It would be possible to skim coat the walls with drywall compound and sanding to get back to smooth walls. Raw compound will probably require at least 2 coats of paint.

bathroom
a thin coat

and I'll

spackling would do

Thanks Dan -- that tells me what I needed to know.