Refinishing living room floors (carpet) - options for stairs

We have cheap carpet in our living room. This is also on the stairs.
We would like to put down pre-finished hardwood floors. What are options for the stairs? I imagine they are just plain pine boards. The stairs are loose and squeak..
Are hardwood stairs slick?
My stairs are also not straight. They have a 90degree spiral from the front door to the top level
Any suggestions??

Hardwood stairs are slick. I have them and hate them. I would carpet if it doesn't blow your scheme.
Try a nice rug, or just carpet the middle of each run. You get the nice look of the wood on the sides and the risers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I like the carpet in the center look.
Is this something I can do myself?? Or do I need to call someone who does carpets?