Refinishing drywall...

Hello, all, I'm re-doing a bathroom in my house and I've got squat for experience, I'm hoping y'all can help.

The drywall was finished, I *believe*, by taking some kind of compound and smearing it across the drywall and then, in a random pattern, sticking a large, flat surface (maybe 4 x 9 I'm *totally* guessing here) against the soft compound and pulling it directly away (perpendicular to the surface), leaving a series of dense, random, low ridges.

I want to eliminate this texture and go to what I'm seeing in "modern" houses (my house was built in 1975) which is a random series of small (less than 1/4 inch), low-rise dots (there is, I believe, some kind of gun that shoots these little droplets of some compound that makes these little droplets).

I don't know how far down to strip the ridges to make it appear properly with the new texture, for one (that is, to not show through the new texturing). Second, as long as I'm asking for help, I'd read anything anyone's got to say about the little dotty gun thing and process. :)

I want to take this house and make it look, as much as possible, like it was new construction, and the little dotty stuff seems to be the current look (and I like it). What I don't want to do is not sand or clean the original texture off enough so that it shows through the new texture, and I don't want to find out after I'm through that it looks like hell and have to strip the new stuff off.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts or ideas you folks have.

Thank you.

--HC

Reply to
HC

Skim coat the existing texture with drywall mud so it is reasonably smooth, rent a compressor and drywall hopper and shoot it for "small orange peel". Experimentation is in order to get what you want...amount of water etc. A messy job, mask everything else.

More...

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Hey, dadiOH, I see, that makes sense, put down a base of mud to cover the rough stuff...I like that. I've got part of it sanded so I'll probably continue that way but now I know I don't have to get it perfectly smooth, just decent.

Thank you for your help.

--HC

Reply to
HC