Refinish Bathtub?

How does one refinish a bathtub, and is it advisable? Replacing it would probably be beyond me.
Thank you, Jim
refinishing is very difficult. I had a tub refinished professionally and my nephew had an insert put in. I would go with an insert for sure now. the refinish tub you had to be very careful how you cleaned it!
wayne

I have not heard much good about any of the do it yourself stuff. Some of the better professional stuff seems OK.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
What about gell coat?

I refinished an old cast iron sink with a product called TubCote (http://tubcote.com ). It came out pretty good (not "like new"). The package I bought for about $100 delivered was enough to do a bath tube. I've been told it will only last 4 or 5 years but I really don't know. It's cheaper than a new sink.
Greg
Jim:
T > How does one refinish a bathtub, and is it advisable? Replacing it would T > probably be beyond me.
I would have a professional do the refinishing. Had the tub here refinished a few years ago. Used a very strong acid to etch -- you would have to buy gloves, respirator, apron, plus sealed the bathroom and used an exhaust fan in the window to minimize fumes into the rest of the house.
After the prep work undercoatings and whatever the finish was, then several layers of protective coating and sprinkle of quartz to roughen the surface slight. (The suction cup bath mats are not recommended.)
As I recall the job took two or three days, then still could not use the tub for several more days to allow it dry. The longer it dries before any use the better -- a couple of weeks would be ideal.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* "I think I've lost an electron,"said the atom, positively.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971