Refill1 lb. propane bottles

Page 2 of 2
On 5/26/2016 8:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The one time I checked, pounders were about two bucks a pound, and bulk was about a buck a pound. Of course, prices change. It may well be different, now.
Some devices, you can get a flexible hose, which cuts down on fussing with the pounders. I've seen someone put a bit of soapy water on the valve after refill, to check for blowing bubbles (leaky valve). Looked good, to me.
One friend tells me Coleman tanks refill better than Ozark Trail brand.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 9:42:14 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...snip...
I have a T-adapter and 2 long hoses so I can use my portable propane grill and propane stove with a single 20 tank.
Whether I use that set-up or not depends on the camping trip. 4+ nights typically gets the full kitchen set-up, including 2 camping cabinets, plywood counter top, 20 lb tank, both cooking appliances, etc.
Weekend trips are usually a lot simpler and that's when the 1 lb tanks are used. Typically just the propane stove, one pot meals and a cowboy coffee maker.
I used to use the 1 lb tanks for my propane lantern, but I've upgraded to 12V LED strings looped through the frame of my pop-up canopy. Much better light, cheaper, easier, etc.
...snip...
On 5/26/2016 11:57 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Did we hear back from the OP, why s/he wants to refill 1 pound pro-bu-pane-tane bottles?
The T / hoses sound like they pay for them selves in a couple tanks of propane. Good idea. I do have some kind of beanstalk thing, but not yet used it. Some day.
Propane is great for mantle lanters, heat and light. I loaned one to a guy for a winter power cut, and much appreciated. Lenny went through 25 or so pounders, I finally loaned him a 20# tank and a heater that screws onto the 20#. Neither of us knew it would be "that long" of a power cut.
Propane lanterns or Coleman fuel are less great for hurricanes, or other warm weather power cuts when you're already over heated.
LED string would be much safer for fire.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This video covers the costs, refill process options and just about everything you could possibly want to know about refilling the 1lb tanks.
His no-chill/pressure-release valve method is something I will try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
1CmorB_qM
On 5/26/2016 2:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had a glance (well, a listen) at that video. The guy does make sense. Of course, I cannot reccomend anyone do this, if there is a slight chance of danger or legal issues. Usual disclaimer.
The one time I took a propane cert course, one way to fill was to open the screw valve at top, and wait till the propane spits white cloud. Wear thick rubber gloves, they taught us.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a heater that screws to the top of a 20 lb tank. I have used it in my attached garage, but I don't like it. I might be imagining it, but I always feel like I smell propane in the basement after it's been running in the garage for a few hours.
Maybe the fumes make it inside as I go in and out or something like that. SWMBO never complained (and she would if she smelt it!) but it worries me.
I also get a slight headache if I spend too much time in the garage with the burner going. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.
On Thu, 26 May 2016 12:03:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

A classic symptom of CO poisoning. You should not be using unvented heaters inside.
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:37:56 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's why I stopped. ;-)

This is 2016. What are the modern symptoms?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/26/2016 3:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The one time I loaned out my radiant heater, to a guy in a drafty old house. I wasn't much concerned about monoxide buildup.
If you have a CO detector, may wish to bring it with you on your next garage heat project. Might be CO, never quite sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 5/26/2016 9:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Clearly my question was misunderstood. Let's put it in simpler terms: For *what* are you using 1 lb tanks in such quantity? Why would you want to go to all this hassle to save a few dollars? The tanks aren't designed with reuse in mind. If you're using so many of them that refilling is economical, why aren't you looking at other approaches besides 1 lb propane tanks?!
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 12:35:55 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Under $10, with tax, at BJ's last weekend. They charge a flat rate regardless of how much they add. I have a spare tank, so paying the flat rate at BJ's is fine because my tank is always bone dry. Plus, there is rarely any waiting in line.
The U-Haul near me is priced by the gallon (pound?) but you have to go inside, wait in line while some rookie decides how much truck they need to rent, then go back outside and wait by the tank, etc. I don't even know if it's cheaper than BJ's because I stopped going there because of the hassle. It can't be cheaper enough to be worth the hassle. I just don't have the patience for that.
On 5/26/2016 1:44 AM, Don Y wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young