Reefer/Freezer in Garage?

Page 1 of 2

I now have a reefer with freezer and a separate upright freezer in my partially heated/insulated garage. I try to keep the temperature in cold weather at 50-60 degrees.
Will they work okay?
Thanks
Duke
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote in

Why are you smoking reefers?
On 28 Oct 2009 10:42:07 GMT, Stepfann King

FUNNY!

At that temp they ought to work just fine. The problems come when you get to temps colder than the box or really hot ambient temps.
--
Roger Shoaf
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:38:08 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

Thanks Roger
Duke
Roger Shoaf wrote:

Roger,
I have a deep freeze in my unheated and uninsulated attached garage. This is in SE Iowa where it gets below zero sometimes. Although I have never checked the temperature in the garage, I would guess that it gets below 32 degrees F several times a year. The freezer has worked fine for six years in this location. Do you know of any reason that it shouldn't?
Cheers,
Don
Well, someone on usenet said it would not. However, your freezer doesn't read Usenet. What comes to mind to me, is that the compressor lubricating oil gets sluggish at lower temps.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Of it is freezer only, no problem but as the Stormin Mormin and I have pointed out, it is when the refrigerator thermostat turns off the compressor before the freezer is cold enough. In a warmer place, that is not a problem.
On Oct 28, 2:26pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree that was the analysis in previous threads. In many 'fridges' that also have a freezer section if/when the fridge is placed in say a garage or cool location, the thermostat being normally in the fridge section of the appliance and depending on a balancing of air flow between two sections, under normal 'house' conditions may not operate the appliance for long sufficiently long for the freezer section to stay cold enough! A freezer with its one thermosta controlling the whole unit should be, based on our expereience too, quite OK.
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote in

I'm not sure which, but processing reefer is definitely a different newsgroup.
on 10/28/2009 10:00 AM (ET) Red Green wrote the following:

alt.home.garden is the group for discussing weed.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 10/28/2009 10:43 AM (ET) willshak wrote the following:

Ooops. That's alt.home.lawn.garden
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Why wouldn't a fridge or freezer work perfectly fine in a 50-60 deg environment? It's perfectly fine. The problems come when it approaching freezing or so hot it can't keep up.
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:51:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The real problem is when it is about 40f The ambient allows the fridge to make the stat without the compressor running and the freezer thaws out.
Pretty close to what I'd have said.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No manufacturer would put an algorithm in a refrigerator. Too expensive.
;^)
Eric Law

And btw the OP of this thread says reefer and freezer; not fridge (refrigerator).

If you put an algorithm in the refrigerator you should let it warm up to room temperature before you run it.
When they're cold they get sluggish and can slow your computer down.
They do keep longer though. I've got some old DOS batch files that are as fresh as the day I wrote them.

Hey, is that where the term "code freeze" came from?
Yeah, I know, completely OT. ;^)
Eric Law

If you leave the algorithms out of the fridge too long they can grow Clostridium Botulinum (botulism).
Then you end up with a "killer app".