redwood vs pressure treated fence posts

We need to replace our redwood fences. One neighbor claims that untreated redwood is more rot reistant than treated wood.
Can anyone tell me what fence post is more resistant to rot and insects: pressure treated posts or untreated redwood?
Is the brown pressure treated wood better than the green treated wood?
Is there some website that you can direct me to that shows this information.
thanks in advance

buffalo ny: this may save you some money. this may depend on your climate, soil moisture, and drainage travel. easiest answer sometimes comes from the permit office or local fence company. careful of the type of pressure treating it may be limited in your area regarding kids and pets. you may need to check your survey for placement, and your town for limits and right-of-ways. regardless of how long your fence has been around, fences are often excluded from front yards, intersections, and even some neighborhoods by zoning. since life and cost per year are probably concerns, you'll want to read more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation
RR wrote:

You want a rot-resistant post?
Steel posts in a concrete base with wood 4x4 bolted to the post.

In my area the CCA green treated wihich I dont think is made anymore is fine after 30 years, redwood would have lasted 10, I never saw brown treated

I assume by brown you mean creosote treated. I've never seen fence material treated with that. Plus it's very toxic for yard use. (Creosote is now a restricted use pesticide). That leaves the green (ACQ) treated wood, redwood, or cypress. If you live in the NW, redwood may be an option but the last time I inquired at my local lumber yards I was told "no one stocks it anymore, and if ordered be prepared to pay VERY high prices." If it were me, I'd use treated 4x4's and cypress boards/panels.
KC
RR wrote:

Answers to some of your questions depend, in part, upon where the fence posts are locate.
Are the in southern Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama, Florida?
Are the posts in Alaska? High desert country in the Great Basin?
All different sets of bugs, different precipitation and ground water issues, different teperrature cycles and different freeze / thaw issues regarding ground water.
Also, of course different soil types with different watrer retention issues.
All of these have a bearing on wood post longevity.
Can you tell us more about the climate, soil type and geographical location?
Universaly, the plastic / ? PVC ? posts will hold up well, but it doesn't sound like that will fit in with your CC&Rs.
Thanks.

If you can get it, plain locust heartwood will last 50 years :0
nick hull wrote:

black locust, that is...
So will Osage orange...