Redwood Siding

I have 1/2 x 10 inch plain bevel redwood siding on my home. I need to replace some damaged boards, but can only find 3/4" siding. Anyone have ideas about building a jig for a planer or jointer to bring the thickness down to 1/2 inch? What I'm puzzled over is the thin edge of the bevel is quite fragile and can split if handled roughly. Thought I'd start with the experts. Any ideas would be helpful. Mike in Oregon

Reply to
Dust Boy

The easiest way to make up a jig would undoubtedly be to place a piece of the siding on a backerboard w/ guides and lay the piece to be milled other-end-to so it is then parallel to the bed of the planer and supported it's full length/width.

Not knowing the precise profile, I'd be concerned if you take a full quarter off, you'll end up w/ a paper thin side on the already thin side which as you've noted, as fragile to begin with.

If there's much at all that needs to be replaced, you may want to consider having some milled to match.

Reply to
dpb

Only need around 6 10' pieces. Thats why I thought playing around with this could be a great savings over having some milled. Your suggestion ahs given me some ideas. Since what I need is to beable to plane a bevel edge. i:e: not taking so much off the thin side. Thanks for your idea I'll work on it some more.

Mike

Reply to
Dust Boy

What do you mean by "damaged"? Since good quality heart redwood doesn't rot, you may have dried and split boards from the effects of sun and rain. Some cracks may be fixed by using a mixture of epoxy and redwood sawdust to fill-in. If the siding is unpainted redwood, these would certainly be more challenging though. The other thing to consider is that the thicker 3/4" siding would be nicer than the 1/2" for durability if the lumber quality is otherwise the same. 1/2" is pretty thin for a 10 inch wide board.

Dust Boy wrote:

Reply to
Alan