Redwood Deck Staining: Oil Based or Water Based

Home Depot sold my wife some oil based clear stain for our new redwood deck. They told her that oil based wouldn't be available any longer and we should get one coat of oil based on before we're stuck with water based.
Is oil based being outlawed?
What's the first thing I should do for my new redwood deck?
Should I treat my brand new redwood deck with oil based or water based stain?

Oil is being phased out to keep the air cleaner and prevent cancer in Kalifornya.
I'd use Penofin oil. So far, it has kept the woods I have in good shape and has so far prevented it from graying because it has UV inhibitors.
I don't know why someone told you oil stain will no longer be available, I haven't heard that, Maybe going up in price considerably because of the high cost of petroleum. In fact just today I bought some Cabot Austrailian timber oil stain, cost 30 bucks a gal though.
I like the oil stains, I haven't tried water based stains yet, how good can that work? What if it were to rain before it dried? Would it wash away, oil wouldn't!
Searcher

OK, now you have. It is being phased out. Some stores cannot even get oil based paints, others in the same area can. I don't know the details, (or the timetable) but the areas with higher smog conditions are affected first.
Use oil it will last longer, Cabots is good. If you are in a state where it is being outlawed, buy extra.