Reducing Humidity in Concrete "Built In" Garage

Some possible solutions: a portable electric roll-around dehumidifier (but you have to keep emptying the pan under it), a wall or window mounted exhaust fan that sucks dry air, say from under a slightly open garage door, out thru a window, a garage heater (in Denver we had hot water heating in the garage, as a branch of the heating system). You could also leave snowy cars outside long enuf to let it melt off, or just jet it off with a hose, and let it drip before driving the car inside. Look also at some way to get the garage air circulating, with fresh air coming in, or check that the roof and garden drainage around your garage is away from the foundation, and away from the garage, in all directions. Cheapest solution... Move the tools you care about inside.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage. I live in Nebraska and have never had this problem before. Moisture gets in in the winter from snow carried in by my wife's car. In the summer, the warm outside air seems moist. A relative humidity meter (I purchased and placed) on the wall rarely goes as low as 60% and is usually above 70% and sometimes above 80%. I can buy and use a dehumidifier in the summer (I am told trying to use them in the winter can damage the unit).

Do I have other options? Are there granular or other products that will draw the moisture out of the air? Is there a reasonable way to minimize the moisture my wife's car brings in (or isn't this the culprit)?

Thanks in Advance.

Respectfully, Andy

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

I doubt your wife's car is the culprit. How about a ventilation fan that turns on when outdoor air contains less moisture than indoor air?

Smart Vent makes one.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Boeshield T-9 is a fantastic tool protectant, that will help keep you tools from rusting. They also have a cleaner and deruster product they package with it, but the T-9 tool protector is great stuff.

Invented by Boeing for keeping tooling from rusting in Seattle.

Reply to
John Hines

Smartvent, Inc.

3255 Cimarron Drive Conway, AR 72032

phone 501 329 4915 fax 253 295 9111 snipped-for-privacy@smartvent.net

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Google turns up a zillion hits, like this one:

John Hines

Hello, It would be a lot healthier for you as well as your tools to install a Hunter Original (lifetime guarantee)ceiling fan in the garage. Let it run on high (up-draft may be best)24/7/365. What with sleeping over that, iam amazed youarenot inundated with mold, plus donot have sinus, joint or lung trouble.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Harry

How does moving moist air around in a closed garage help? At best this would just cause the moisture to precipitate out onto the floor or any horizontal surface. Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to fix my problem.