Reduce cold air through receptacles

My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them before getting some advice.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John61

Sure -- depending, you can use some of the expanding foam around the outside of the box (careful to don't use too much and blow out a wall when it expands in a closed space), use some fiberglass or other insulation to push in the gaps, etc., or/and go buy the little foam covers that have cutouts for outlets, switches, etc., that will fit behind the cover plates.

Reply to
dpb

I recommend the pre-cut foam gaskets that you can buy at the DIY stores. You only need a screw driver and a few minutes to take car of it. You don't see them and they do a good job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My parents had trouble with the cold. They used these "fake plugs" that were supposed to keep babies from sticking things in.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd