Redoing wood floor

Hey,

I just ripped up the carpeting in my living room, and the hardwood floor underneath looks awful. Is it ridiculous to try redoing it using one of those little 'mouse' electric sanders? How long would that take in a room about 10 feet by 15 feet? Thanks.

Reply to
drummer

yes, it is ridiculous. I did an area about 3x6 with a 1/4 sheet sander once. Takes forever and a day. Rent a drum sander, will be done in a few hours. Or, a rotary sander, the one that is part of the Varathane system looks good. I just did a bedroom that is about 10x12 with the drum sander. It is still a HUGE job to do even with that sander. I will never refinish a floor again. EVER. My wife thinks I'm exaggerating, but I'm dead serious. It is a pain in the ass. Just for fun I had a guy give me a quote for another room the same size. $400. I spent $40 on the drum sander, $20 on the edger, $100 on misc crap, sand paper, applicators, etc, and $40 on the Varathane. And I've spent more hours than I care to count. Next room is carpet or hired out for floor refinishing.

Reply to
J Kelly

I did my upstairs that way -- I rented the equipment and it looks great now.

You can rent several types of sanders: A drum sander is basically a very aggressive sander. Envision a belt sander on steroids -- it will take some practice and can actually do damage if you don't know how to use it. If you do use one of these, be sure to read a book on how to use it properly. The results are fast, but the quality is entirely up to you. Take your time, follow the directions and you'll be fine.

They also rent a sander that looks like a very large (2'x2') palm sander that takes special pads. It looks a little like a floor polisher but the pad does not rotate -- this one is easy to control and it is a lot harder to do damage to your floor. It will take a little longer, but it is probably a good idea since you have never done it before. There is a lot more room for error with this one.

You can probably redo a 10 x 15 room in a day (sanding, cleaning/'tacking' and urethaning included). The hardest job is probably making sure you 'tack' all the dust.. Also when urethaning, be sure you get a lambskin applicator and appropriate stick -- don't try doing it with a brush. Pour the bucket of urethane out and push it where it needs to go with the applicator.

It isn't hard as long as you are taking your time and don't rush things.

Hope this helps, Remco

Reply to
remcow