Redoing Stairs

I'm ripping out the carpet and installing hardwood risers and treads on my stairs. I've removed carpet from two stairs thus far to see what I'm up against and it's all rough constructed finish. Though the treads and risers will be the easier part, I am unsure of how to approach the stringers on each side. I don't know if I should paint or put a thin boards to cover up. The treads will be oak with a honey maple finish and I'm uncertain what stain I want for the risers but it won't be white. Therefore, I don't want the stringers to be white, at least I can't envision it looking good.
Here are a few pictures of how it looks.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/24364036371/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/23819697953/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/24150884020/in/dateposted-public/
What would everyone else suggest?
Thank you
On 1/17/2016 4:56 PM, Meanie wrote:

Maybe, paint the stringers a complementary color and add decorative molding to the top edge.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

If you're talking about the trim at the sides above the steps/front of therisers , you'll find those are probably fitted to the steps and risers . Your best bet is going to be to either replace or cover those with pieces that you can butt the new treads and risers to . The existing are probably not fitted very well , counting on the carpet to cover the gaps .
--
Snag

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 5:56:15 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

I don't have a suggestion for the stringers, but I do have a question about adding the treads:
Will you also be adding the same thickness material to the landing area at the top of the stairs?
The reason I ask is because you don't want to raise the rise of each step and end up with a shorter rise at the last step. Very dangerous and not to code. (It's less about the code and much, much more about the danger)
Just sayin'