Redneck Lantern

Hi All,
Since my wife saw this, we have used it in several power outages. Just shine a flashlight at a clear jug of water. Presto! A lantern:
http://indulgy.com/post/qPU0SJKuJ1/camp-lamp-jug-of-water-headlight-lamp-light
-T

Ive pointed flashlights at the ceiling before.
Greg
On 8/12/2014 2:29 AM, gregz wrote:

I prefer the ceiling thing. More light into the room.
The jug thing is fun for Christmas, some friends had a string of milk jugs out, with a string of old style Christmas bulbs into the jugs (over the water line). Made a string of milk jugs, each lit with a separate color.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I guess it helps, but I have a couple of LED lanterns that are bright and last a very long time on a set of batteries.
On 8/12/2014 5:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've got a couple of LED lanterns too and they are OK to find your way around or have comforting light but even with a couple of dozen LED's, there is not enough light to read by. Like my old Coleman gasoline lantern but only if weather is cool as heat can be a problem indoors during the summer if power fails.
On 08/12/2014 05:42 AM, Frank wrote:

I like that it gets rid of the dark or glare problem associated with a direct flashlight beam. It is a very gentle, non-blinding light
On 8/12/2014 8:42 AM, Frank wrote:

The LED lantern I have is at leas 300 lumens and you can easily read.
On 8/12/2014 3:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've got one with 20 focused LED's and can get by with it to read. I have a generator for longer power failures but only fire it up as needed, usually for longer outages.
Lot of these older LED lanterns and flashlights were quite wimpy and might advertise multiple LED's but not lumens. Most of us have those free HF 9 LED flashlights that don't put out a tenth the illumination of newer single LED lights.
On 8/13/2014 3:38 PM, Frank wrote:

There is a lot to be said for free, or free with any purchase. I give them away for Christmas.
I can leave one on at night for pee light, and not be upset when the batteries corrode.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've heard of using jugs with sunlight also.
I forget the details
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:24:07 PM UTC-4, cycjec wrote:

Remember, the moon is really a lot more important than the sun, because the moon gives us light at night when we really need it.
On 08/13/2014 06:02 AM, TimR wrote:

Not to mention keep us from having constant 200 mile and hour winds!

I got a 12VDC flourescent lantern somewhere. I also have a 12 V little car fan and a deep-cycle 12 V battery kept on a charger. I use these when the power goes out. Doesn't happen that often but it is very handy when it does. Light is bright enough to read by.

I've had everything, including harbor freight flourescents. Nothing works anymore. Sometimes replacing batteries gets tiring.
I just bought a automatic hall light operating off 4 AA for a house. Kinda neat. Has on or auto. Would be a good multipurpose light for things. $15 walmart.
Greg
On 08/11/2014 10:24 PM, Todd wrote:

On 08/13/2014 11:23 AM, dpb wrote:

Fascinating video!
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 03:24:07 +0000 (UTC),

A clear bottle of water fitted into a hole in the roof acts as a very effective "solar light" - or skylight. Quite commonly used in the slums of central Africa, South America, and the Philipines, among other places. Brings the sunlight into dark windowless hovels during the day.
cycjec posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I like to shine flashlights at jugs! It makes them appear bigger!
--
Tekkie