Redneck 1 KW generator

Page 2 of 2
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

if I'm not mistaken, that's a Delco 10SI alternator, that in best factory trim puts out 63A at 12V so that will be the limiting factor (e.g. assuming that you did get a 63A version and everything is lossless that's 6.3A at 120V or 756W - I realize that it's more like 14.5V but we're hand waving here)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Actually it would put out about 13.5 volts with the built-in regulator and that could give as much as 850 watts if used as-is. I have used one to produce up to 60 amps at about 51 volts which would be over 3000 watts. In order to achieve that you really need about 6 HP. The definition of one HP may be 746 watts but in the real world you get more like 500 watts per horsepower, maybe a bit more.

when I clicked on it: This content was removed at the request of T. Lindsay / Lindsay Publications Inc.
So, to me that means Don't Buy Anything From Lindsay Publications!
Anyway, if someone wants to learn more about how to modify alternators for higher voltages etc try searching for Alternator Secrets. Lotsa interesting stuff and the author is "unknown." Hell, if anyone wants it I'll email it to you. Let's see 'em delete it from my hard drive! This document is supposedly public domain.
A couple of things covered in the document: how to produce 120 volts from a washing machine motor, how to power such things as drills, saws, etc from a car alternator...

This is 100a I believe (came from a cop car) . I think they even go bigger. The engine is 6HP so I could probably parallel in another alternator.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

if it's 100A then I must be mistaken and it's a 12SI instead. I'd go back and look, but, well, you know what you have better than I do.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't really know any more than I was told. The cop who gave it to me said it was the ones they put on cop cars and we thought that was 100a. I know both inverters loaded up don't seem to drag the voltage down. The 6.5 HP Honda isn't even breathing hard. I am thinking about shaft coupling another alternator in there (that I have) and get better inverters (look a little more at garage sales).
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Heh! I once bought a used cop car, a piddly Ford Custom. It had a DELCO alternator! Delco, as you know, is a division of General Motors! Evidently Ford didn't have access to humongous alternators back then.
The car also had: * A certified speedometer from 0 to 140mph * Radio-interference suppressed wiring * An 8-quart crankcase * A monsterous radiator * Extra heavy duty suspension * Rubber floor mats * Built-in semi-rollbar * 440 cu in engine with 2-barrel carb * other stuff
I was told it originally came with 8-ply nylon ultra-high-speed tires.
Anyway, sucker was built like a tank and, except for the 9 mpg fuel issue, was the best car I ever owned.
HeyBub wrote:

Are you sure about the 440 cid engine. Ford made a 460 cid engine. The 440 cid engines were in the Dodge cars.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

No, I'm not. It was a 1969 model and my accurate memory only goes back to 1976. Besides, I never used more than about 220 cubic inches anyway. Except for one time I was chasing, using red lights and siren, a car with four naked women who were pelting me with beer cans.
I used all the inches I had.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why should you need an inverter? An alternator is an AC generator. All you have to do is remove the diodes that make DC for cars.
Hipupchuck wrote:

Good point. But you'd need a 12-to-120 volt transformer instead.
HeyBub wrote:

frequency. Plus you also would need to remove the internal regulator then the output voltage would be a function of the load and field excitation.

then you have to worry about output frequency,dependent on RPMs of the alternator. Using an inverter allows the inverter to maintain frequency.
Plus most auto alternators are multi-phase output,the diodes combine them to give a pulsing DC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There are several plans for these on the tubes, all involving an old lawnmower, a chevy alternator, a modest battery, and an inverter.
This would make an interesting week-end project if you already had a couple of the items.

Ive built a couple of these, one for 48 volts, the 48volts powered a 1500 watt UPS. I was surprised at what I could power with the thing, just about my whole house except for the HVAC. If I could get 240 out and do some load sharing I might could power that too.
Jimmie
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:51:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Redneck 1 KW generator:

Is that really a 1kw inverter? It looks a bit small.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

That is a 500w inverter, there is another one you can't see on the other side. I can run several fans, my PC a TV and a CFL light or two. I have a propane fridge so that is plenty for me. I would like to find a cheap 1000w or 1500w inverter in a garage sale. This is a 100a alternator so it will do the deed. The on board battery is just for regulation purposes. I use my golf cart batteries if I am really doing something with it.