Redneck 1 KW generator

on 7/14/2009 7:18 AM (ET) Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:

Plus a portable cooler for his beer.

Reply to
willshak

Ive built a couple of these, one for 48 volts, the 48volts powered a

1500 watt UPS. I was surprised at what I could power with the thing, just about my whole house except for the HVAC. If I could get 240 out and do some load sharing I might could power that too.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Not right now it's not, since you're looking at 2D text, and not running it full out on 3D with all the eye candy turned on. \\\\

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Why should you need an inverter? An alternator is an AC generator. All you have to do is remove the diodes that make DC for cars.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

If I could find one with a key pad interface like MPXPLAY I would buy it. They all require trying to use a tiny screen and scrolling through a few hundred songs to get to what you want to hear. That is not something I want to do on the road. I can use a key pad without taking my eyes off the road.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thought of this, the instant I deleted the post.

Q: Why carry the two? A: Computers think in binary.

What came to mind an instant later, there aren't any 2s in binary.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good point. But you'd need a 12-to-120 volt transformer instead.

Reply to
HeyBub

Like HeyBub, I've done actual measurements on my desktop. Including monitor,it adds up to 160 watts. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Lots more issues than that. The output is both three phase and a higher frequency. Plus you also would need to remove the internal regulator then the output voltage would be a function of the load and field excitation.

Reply to
George

On 7/14/2009 8:08 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Sure there are: the one in the two's place.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hipupchuck wrote in news:U6mdnQt8xb5HBsHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

then you have to worry about output frequency,dependent on RPMs of the alternator. Using an inverter allows the inverter to maintain frequency.

Plus most auto alternators are multi-phase output,the diodes combine them to give a pulsing DC.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Or a portable cooler for himself. Like this:

Pic

HeyBub

if it's 100A then I must be mistaken and it's a 12SI instead. I'd go back and look, but, well, you know what you have better than I do.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't really know any more than I was told. The cop who gave it to me said it was the ones they put on cop cars and we thought that was

100a. I know both inverters loaded up don't seem to drag the voltage down. The 6.5 HP Honda isn't even breathing hard. I am thinking about shaft coupling another alternator in there (that I have) and get better inverters (look a little more at garage sales).
Reply to
gfretwell

Heh! I once bought a used cop car, a piddly Ford Custom. It had a DELCO alternator! Delco, as you know, is a division of General Motors! Evidently Ford didn't have access to humongous alternators back then.

The car also had:

  • A certified speedometer from 0 to 140mph
  • Radio-interference suppressed wiring
  • An 8-quart crankcase
  • A monsterous radiator
  • Extra heavy duty suspension
  • Rubber floor mats
  • Built-in semi-rollbar
  • 440 cu in engine with 2-barrel carb
  • other stuff

I was told it originally came with 8-ply nylon ultra-high-speed tires.

Anyway, sucker was built like a tank and, except for the 9 mpg fuel issue, was the best car I ever owned.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you sure about the 440 cid engine. Ford made a 460 cid engine. The 440 cid engines were in the Dodge cars.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No, I'm not. It was a 1969 model and my accurate memory only goes back to

1976. Besides, I never used more than about 220 cubic inches anyway. Except for one time I was chasing, using red lights and siren, a car with four naked women who were pelting me with beer cans.

I used all the inches I had.

Reply to
HeyBub