Red Wire in Cileing light

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I am in the process of replacing all of my ceiling fixtures in my house. I am currently replacing one in the hall, there is a white, black, red and ground. The only way the light will work is on the black and white but it can not be controlled by the switch. Any suggestions?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Are the wires you mentioned coming into the ceiling electrical box or are you talking about wires that came attached to the fixture? Also, what kind of switch are you refering to......wall installed or integral to the lighting unit you are installing?
The red wire is coming from a three switch box(wall installed) by the front door - one for the entry, one for the porch light, one for a light by the garage. The switch for the entry has the black power wire and then a red wire into the ceiling box. The previous light was connected to the Black wire and the red wire (granted it was an old light) for the new fixture I connected the black to the black, the white to the white - the light turned on but the switch would not turn it on and off. when I connect the red to the white on the fixture the light does not work at all. propman wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Suggest you try connecting it as old one was- what made you decide not to? Is there another switch controlling this light? If so, it needs a switched hot, that's why it was connected to black and red. This is common in hall (or staircase) fixtures, so they can be switched from either end of hall.
I did connect as the old one was, the light did not turn on, when I connect it to as most are the light will not turn off.
Sev wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

But this isn't what you said you did with new fixture. Is there another switch which controlled the old light?
Sev wrote:

It is how the light is currently connected, black to black, white to red. the light does not turn on and there is no other switch to power the light
Sev wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

<snipped>
Assuming what you referred to in your OP as the ceiling fixture in the "hall" is the one "the switch for the entry" should be controlling, then I suggest you first start checking for voltage on that switch. Connect a test lamp from a neutral (white) lead to the black lead on that switch and see if the lamp lights. If it does, move that lamp lead to the red wire and see if the switch will turn it on and off.
If there's no power on the black wire to that switch find out why, you may have a "loose disconnection" somewhere. If you do and the lamp won't light, the switch is bad.
If the switch turns the the test lamp on and off when operated, then you may have a break in that red wire going to the ceiling box (unlikely).
HTH
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
It was wired to a light fixture (circa 1973) that had nither black nor white nor red wires, the black wires went to ine and the red to the other. So from the new fixture (circa 2006) I hooked the black to the black and the white to the red - no light - So i switched the white to the white wire that was previously hanging from the electrical box and had light but no switch control.
Steve Barker LT wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Then remove the light fixture black wire from the black wire(s) and connect it to the red wire. Leave the light fixture white wire connected to the white wire from the box.
Sounds like you need someone in there that knows what they are doing.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I am very confuse now.
Please, how many wires are available at the ceiling box where the fixture is?
What colors are they?
It would also help if you would pull the switch out enough to identify the colors on the 2 terminals on the switch.
___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

OK Light Switch - Black on one terminal red on the other
Electrical Box - Black, White, Red, Ground
Old fixture was connected to black and red with two copper wires from the fixture.
New fixture connected black to black ad white to red - no light New fixture connected black to black and white to white - light but no switch control
DanG wrote:

see if black(fixture) to red (house) and white to white works. that is what I would expect in your situation. white is always neutral, green is always ground, most other colors are hot. when you have a black and a red in the same box black is usually always hot and red is switched hot.
nate
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I doubt that very much. Probably it was connected to white and red, and you forgot -- it seems that you didn't take note of what was connected to what, before you took the old one out.

No surprise there: you've connected both sides of the light fixture to hot wires. No current can flow between two points that are at the same voltage.

No surprise there either: you have the neutral side of the fixture connected properly, and the hot side connected to a wire that's hot all the time, and not controlled by the switch.
Try connecting white to white, and black to red -- and next time, pay attention to what's connected where, and label them, before you disconnect anything.
--
Regards,
I came for help, not some super electrical geek boy smart ass answer. but thanks
Doug Miller wrote:

He sounds 100% right. It is hard us tell from here, but if you take a voltage tester and check, the black should be hot all the time and the red should be controlled by the switched.
I think you were mistaken about the original connection.
The fan should have the same 3 colors. Do red/red black/black white/white.
On 2 Dec 2006 16:18:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I gave you help -- apparently you failed to notice this part:

From your description of the light's behavior, it's quite obvious that you do not have the wires connected the same way they were before.
--
Regards,