Red Paint

I painted an off-white wall in my house. I bought Glidden paint from Home Depot, Red color. The wall is not perfectly flat, some very mild unevenness but nothing that I deem needs to be filled. I have thus far applied 3 coats of this paint, allowing drying to the touch between coats. I can still see unevenness in the coating, some areas lighter that others , "holidays" I think painters around here call them. I've painted many times in my house with good results, all of light colors though. I feel I have decent rolling technique and a feel for how paint lays on. What have I done wrong? Does red on a light colored wall require some kind of red primer first? Is it the Glidden paint not having enough solids to cover. I normally use Vista Paints, a high end paint store in my area and have not had problems like this. I noted that the wall "sucked" a lot of paint in the initial coat. It seems to me that more coating is not going fix it. The unevenness is oriented vertically. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
trg-s338

Did you prime before you painted with the red? You will get an even colour if you keep at it, but you should have applied a tinted primer underneath it. Dark colours can be difficult to get even otherwise.

Reply to
Noozer

The pigments in red and blue paints do not cover as well as others. Ben Moore notes this on some of their labels. I would consider what you are seeing as fairly normal, although three coats of a good paint might have been sufficient. If you are going for more coats, I would let it cure well for a couple of weeks first. A tinted primer might have helped, but primers can't be tinted as strongly as regular paint or they lose the primer qualities. Primers, generally, are not for color; they are for sealing and binding.

Reply to
Norminn

i once got to 6 coats before i knew the brands Bin or Kilz primer seals the wall first, blocks bleed thru of color already there. your project so far is a waste of time until you put the primer on. choose primer type and tinted base to follow it including complete directions according to your manufacturers of EACH ITEM.

Reply to
buffalobill

Tinted primer would have helped quite a bit. Usually, I would have primer tinted "half tone" towards the color of the top coat, but I had a professional recommend gray primer for red top coats. Glidden makes a lot of paint, at many different quality levels, but I haven't been too excited about the paint that they make for Home Depot. Kinda too late, but I think you would be much happier with "Color Accents" by Sherwin Williams. If you want to make positively sure that the 4th coat will be the last, I would use that. It will be expensive.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Thanks for your responses. I will give it one more coat of the paint I have. If no improvement, then I will get better paint for a final coat. Failing that, I will have to primer and then another coat of the good paint. It is in my living room so I have to have it looking good. Thanks all!

Reply to
trg-s338