Red Maple

Page 1 of 2

Recently, a red ribbon was stapled to the big red maple tree out front in the city right of way. I came to find out the tree is slated for removal, but I don't know why. There's a lot of mold on the upper trunk and branches and one, open, very black and slimy knot hole about half way up.
I can't imagine the cash-strapped city would spend $ to take it down for no reason, but the tree's fully leafed out so I know it's not dead. There was one branch that had no leaves close to the base, but it's always grown that way, with the lowest branches losing their leaves, then dying and just dropping off, the holes healing up and new growth continuing from the top.
It's a big tree, about 75' tall. I'd hate to lose it, but it is sort of growing at angle toward my house so that if it did fall over, it would definitely hit the front bedroom with a good 10' of thick trunk.
I did notice a crack in the moss growing all the way around the base of the tree. The tree had obviously leaned in a heavy wind and caused the ground around its roots to lift about an inch. Anyone have any ideas why my tree has been "marked for death?"
-- Bobby G.

-snip-
One guy knows-- The one who tagged it. I'd bet it would be a local call.
Jim

removal,
Already left a message a week ago without a callback. Thought I'd ask around and see whether other people had any experience with red maple trees. In my jurisdiction if you ask too many questions, you end up with citations for ultra-minor infractions as a reminder that city workers have better things to do than answer citizen inquiries.
Thanks for your input.
-- Bobby G.

Here's how you deal with that. 1. Call the department. . . 2. 24 hours later call the head of the department. 3. 24 hours later go up the chain of command . . . 4. 24 hours go up another step. 5. give the mayor's pr office 24 hours. 6. Call the media.
Quicker than waiting a week.

That's like asking in a medical group if anyone has experience with humans.

A minor infraction is still an infraction. Obey the laws & complain away.
Jim

in
Ah, yes, I know of the chain of command but they know the hammer of vengeance. By the time you get to three on your list, you've been visited by every inspector of every type they have who issues a citation for anything they can find.
They have taken discouraging citizen review to a fine art and I have the citations to prove it. I even tried to interest the local newspaper in a story about how vindictive they are, but as they had just built a huge new printing plant (ha! - they are selling it now!!) a few blocks away they apparently weren't looking to prove my point.
But the question has been rendered academic. They "sort of" returned my call because when I got home today, most of the tree was gone - only some logs and a tall upright section remained. The black, silty knot hole was really rotten and a stain that looked like a cross between black ink and motor oil was visible in the center of each of the sections of tree trunk lying on the ground.
Some of the black sections already were being eaten through (only an inch in diameter out of a 12" diameter log, but on balance, nothing except the wounded site where the big branch fell off was really rotten so they caught it in time. Too bad it's gone, I nearly drove past my own house because the whole section of houses looks completely different without it.

trees.
Hey, I am pretty sure from the treatment I've gotten that humans are a novelty at SOME medical groups. My favorite medical story is when after about six shots of Demerol for a really nasty kidney stone they thrust a paper in my delirious face for me to sign acknowledging the death risks from IVP dye injections, which they wanted to do. I remember asking, through the very deep, cottonlike fog, "Do I look competent to sign a life or death document right now?" And then I threw up on the release form, the doctor holding it, the desk, etc. They wheeled me into a corner for 8 hours after that until a family member came to fetch me.

citations
Dude, they have laws stretching out beyond the event horizon. Of the four infractions that burn the most were: Left wheels to curb, trash cans beyond building line, having my car parked in front of my house for three days in a row without moving it and "rats were seen in your yard."
These are very skilled bureaucrats, able to deal with any threat to their way of doing business. The moral of the story is keep your mouth shut and go where you're kicked. I hate it, but I hate being harassed by nonsense citations even more.
If it were a matter of life and death, I'd go to the mat, but I've learned to pick my battles. This one has probably worked out in my favor, considering they dropped the sucker without damage to the phone, powerlines and CATV wires, which were threaded through the offending tree from multiple directions. They did a damn good job and cleaned up, too. Davey Tree service, if anyone cares, in suburban Maryland.
Thanks for your input, Jim!
-- Bobby G.

why not call the city and ask?
if you want to save the tree try offering to pay for a tree company to give a second opinion.
I hate to see a mature tree removed unnecessarily

City arborist must have paid you a visit. I'd call him / her for the report. One removed near my property. Though not visible from the outside, a core sample from the bore in showed significant rot. This was a maple tree deemed to be about 60 yrs old. We are in a hurricane zone. I've no idea of the predicted life span of same tree would be.

in
removal,
branches
no
was
that
top.
the
ground
tree
<City arborist must have paid you a visit. I'd call him / her for the report. One removed near my property. Though not visible from the outside, a core sample from the bore in showed significant rot. This was a maple tree deemed to be about 60 yrs old. We are in a hurricane zone. I've no idea of the predicted life span of same tree would be.>
I would assume the tree is about 70 years old, if planted when the place was new. It lost a major branch from the huge 2010 snowstorms and I think that's where the trouble began. I wonder now if some sort of treatment (sealing the breakpoint) might have saved the tree if it really is so bad that it must be taken down. I have a call into the arborist which has not been returned (very small city, probably a part timer in the job. I'll pulse them again tomorrow since it's been a week since I called and two since the ribbon appeared. I guess they don't make it a habit to talk to the property owner during their inspection.
Thanks!
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Wow things move very fast there...
I was working in my garage last weekend and had the roll up door open. I heard some talking across the street and turned around to see a guy talking to my neighbour and slapping the trunk of a tree that is on city property at the front of his house (obviously a city employee because of the car he was driving).
Thats when I noticed the tree was leaning and had obviously been weakened by the last wind storm we had a week before.
Less than an hour later a truck rolls up with a chipper and down came the tree.

branches
no
was
that
the
Well, of course I did. The city, thus far, has remained mute. So I decided to ask around before I got serious with them.

In many places that might be a good idea. Here, it's probably just throwing away money because the city, absent a "cease and desist" order, will do what it wants. It's clear from the fight my neighbor had with them about her tree (hit by the water company's backhoe and gouged) that they care little for anything residents have to say. She had gotten a second opinion that said the tree could be saved but down it came anyway. It was a massive tree that provided much shade and you can't believe how much the "feel" of the place changed without it.

Me too, which is why I am here, trying to get a feel for my options, if any.
Thanks for the input.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote the following:

At the end of February, after the very heavy wet snow and subsequent heavy winds, about 50% of the trees on my one acre next to a woods suffered major tree and branch damage which then caused some damage to my 6' high wooden fence when a Maple trunk branch of about 10" in diameter fell on it, I spent the better part of 2 days cutting that and a number of other large branches that broke off other trees and were laying on my property. Two large fir trees on my neighbor's property fell and took out the electricity, phone, and cable tv/broadband lines. 2 days without those utilities. Be thankful that they are going to remove that tree before it causes damage or worse, injury or death..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

in
removal,
<stuff snipped>

Well, if it's truly a goner, I will be greatful because it's a) leaning toward the house and b) big enough to cause serious damage. Also, the phone, cable and power lines run right through the foilage so it would take out almost all services with it when it fell. I suspect a lot of trees didn't make it through that wet, clingy snow that pervaded the NE this year. So sad. It was a huge, beautiful tree and will be the second one that shaded the house to be cut down. It really changes the "feel" of the place to lose two big trees in front.
Thanks for your input, Bill.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote: ...

Well, in that description alone I counted five good ones...
In all likelihood, notwithstanding the apparent near toppling already, the bulk of the trunk is hollow and what appears to be a quite large, solid piece of sturdy wood is mostly a straw...
Be glad they're going to get it down before it comes down on its own and it's your nickel to collect from your insurance and clean it up...
Many places will replace it w/ a new planting...

the
ground
tree
The problem is the things I have mentioned have been there since we got here in 1984. That's why I posted here. I wanted to know if red maples had some growing pattern that involved large, lower branches falling off naturally.
There are at least 6 self-repaired knotholes - some from branches breaking off naturally (ragged knot holes) and some that were sawn off (very clean knotholes with the the outer bark growing over the "wound" making a little rim around the edge of each hole.

I can't believe that - we had 70mph wind gusts recently that surely would have brought a completely rotten tree down. The whole tree is covered in new leaves - I walked up and down the street today with a camera, taking pictures to see if there was any large, dead area or branch and couldn't see any. Tomorrow I will look to see if I can see any bore holes near the base.

If it's truly bad, I will be *very* glad. It's not my nickel directly, but the city tacks on a yearly addendum to my property tax, so I've really already paid for the service, if indirectly.

They are pretty good about new plantings and pretty awful about caring for them. My neighbor's replacement tree died within two years of planting. Let's hope mine lasts longer.
Thanks,
-- Bobby G.

It was the inevitable result of local government plotting to entice you to post to usenet...

The city hates you.

After Hurricane Charlie,the large maple outside my building had been blown over,it's shallow root system pulling a huge hunk of earth out along with it. there were several similar trees around my apartment complex.
Chances are,the city decided your tree is not stable,and is likely to be blown over in a high wind,and wants to take preemptive action so the tree doesn't damage anything,like perhaps power lines,house roof,or someone's car.
It's good that they are looking to the future,not waiting until it actually falls.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's good. Now that it's gone, it looks kind of naked.
Down heah in Maryland the scam is concrete curbs. Every few years someone comes along, jackhammers out the old curbs (kerbs?) and replaces them with new curbs that look very much like the old ones. I know that PA is known for corruption, but Maryland's the state that produced Spiro Agnew,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiro_Agnew
the corrupt US VP that resigned after the stories of his legendary bribery schemes came to light. No one can touch Chicago for corruption. Look at Rod Blagojevich, Mayors Daley and elections where more dead than living people voted.
-- Bobby G.

actually
It's unusual they are being pre-emptive. There's another tree on a shared fenceline with a city property behind me that they have refused to deal with, even though it has a fence growing through its double trunk and it's twice the size of the red maple in front.
I suspect they have discovered that many trees got seriously damaged in the recent bit of endless snow. The pity is that the tree might have been saved with a little pruning at the right time. It's clear now that it's down in pieces on the ground that it was the "wound" made by the branch the broke off that allowed "rot juice" to propagate throughout the tree. Right at the wound sight, the dark color was spreading to the growth layer right under the bark, so at least I am content that it really did have to come down.
-- Bobby G.