Red duct tape for permanently bonding?

I saw in Home Depot they have some very expensive duct tape called "Red duct tape", it's like X 3 more expensive than regular duct tape. I read the label and it says it's suppose to use for permanently bonding.
but the interesting part is, most duct tape got cloth in it, or some kind of reinforcement material. But this thing just look like regular transparent tape except in red color. What and why is so special about this?
I saw in Home Depot they have some very expensive duct tape called "Red duct tape", it's like X 3 more expensive than regular duct tape. I read the label and it says it's suppose to use for permanently bonding.
but the interesting part is, most duct tape got cloth in it, or some kind of reinforcement material. But this thing just look like regular transparent tape except in red color. What and why is so special about this?
On 11/26/2004 3:53 PM US(ET), ChInKPoInt [No MCSD] took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I haven't seen the red tape, but I did buy some of the 'clear' Scotch duct tape. I find it much easier to use than the grey stuff and it seems to last much longer outdoors. It's less likely to tangle and stick to itself when pulling off a long piece. I don't think I'll ever buy the grey stuff anymore.
Red tape is for sealing plastic vapor barriers together. This is either the wall or under the slab. Red is just so inspectors can see it. (like purple primer, and grey electrical PVC).
I used that red clear tape on a site I'm building to hold the weather out. I applied it to the Tyvek and other joints to keep the winter snow out till spring. It's lasted for years (I'm not a fast builder, and it's my personal slow project.) It has its use.
Dave