recycling tv's etc.

That's an interesting point. I'm sure that someone will find some. I'm almost willing to bet that any such pipes turned up, would be nearly as good as the day they were buried. I'm going away for a couple of weeks in a day or two, but I'll flag the thread, and have a look when I get back ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

From what I have read, the pipes will be coated with a thick coat of limestone scale and that would effectively sequester the lead. BTW there are still lead pipes in water systems in the old US cities in the North East. (insert blue state joke here). Copper piping systems were sweated with lead until fairly recently too.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm sure the locals would have dug them up a thousand years ago. After all, they stripped the pyramids and Stonehenge.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Lead free solder! Does this mean I have to stock up on leaded solder, for my own use?

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

Absolutely ! Home use for non-commercial reasons, is not subject to the diktats of the lead-free solder eco-police ... Commercial items originally constructed with leaded solder, need not be - and indeed *should* not be - repaired using lead-free. Go for it fella !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

I've decided the goal in life should be to have as much crap and unfinished projects around when you die.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hey David

I wonder what it is that causes us to abandon projects without finishing them? My shop is full of half done designs and modifications that seemed like the most important thing in the world when I started them ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa Daily spake thus:

Short attention span.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The realisation that Mt Everest is not an afternoon's walk.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

But that means they should still be selling it a few places, probably at a higher price, for use at home. Right?

It's hard to know how much is needed to stock up. It's getting hard to buy double edge razor blades. Not twin edge, but the standard double edge for the standard safety razor that's been in use for 60 to

100 years. So I just bought over the internet 200 for 20$. It's especially hard to say how long that will last, because I haven't shaved for 10 years except my neck, and sometimes not even that. But if I lose enough weight, I'm going to take off my beard, and who knows how long I'll live or how many blades I'll need each year?

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

It's interesting that you are still able to do that, there. Over here now, the eco-police in the form of the local council, would be liable to prosecute you. Under laws that were brought in in 1990, but have only started to be enforced since 1999, they can prosecute you for all sorts of garbage related 'offences', including leaving trash out on the street on the wrong collection day. My bin men come round at 7am, so everyone leaves their garbage out the night before. Strictly speaking, this can now be declared illegal, and subject to prosecution. A person was recently prosecuted, at a cost of £6000, for putting out her rubbish a day early, because she was going on holiday. In today's paper, there is a case of a man who has been fined £100 plus another £100 in costs, because a piece of junk mail with his name on it, was found in a bag designated as being for glass and tins only. The guy was actually taking part in the scheme voluntarily, but as a result, now has a criminal record, with all the job and travel-related implications of that. There was not even any CCTV or witness evidence to support the case and, despite the guy's insistence that he did not put the item in there, because it was not even his bag, the court declared the case proved. So how does nonsense like this encourage people to become more eco and recycle friendly ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

IMO the UK is becoming ever more like Nazi Germany. Where, in this case is the actus reus let alone the mens rea? I doubt they could prove that the junk mail was even delivered to the accused - a lazy postman could have dumped it there.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Arfa Daily" hath wroth:

It doesn't. Bureaucratic abuse as in your examples is very common when the value of revenue enhancement exceeds the value of the crime. The garbage collectors probably had a quota of violations that were necessary to make their manager look good. Lacking the necessary violations, planting the junk mail letter would have been expedient. Aggressive enforcement also helps the legal system perpetuate itself with a steady case load. Meanwhile, recycling continues as a minor aspect of the revenue enhancement.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions as to how to solve the problem. At one time, the bureaucratic overhead raised the cost of recycling auto batteries to the point where it was cheaper to leave them by the road side, than to do the manditory paperwork. So, a law was passed requiring that an old battery be supplied with every new battery purchase. That actually worked quite well and has resulted in a high lead recycling rate. Something similar could be done for major appliances and general recycling. Turn in your old whatever before you can buy a new one, or pay a huge deposit, fee, tax, or whatever. In effect, remove the penalty cost of not recycling from the grossly inefficient legal machinery, and move it to the commercial establishment at the time of sale. If anything, it might create a demand for items to recycle.

As for the lead content in CRT's, we've had this discussion before. Briefly, there's very little lead in todays CRT's.

this time, all CRT glass manufacturers in the USA are shipping so called no-lead CRT glass. Unfortunatly, there is still some lead in these CRT's and some CRT's have a temporary RoHS exemption. I expect all CRT's to be lead free in about 5-10 years, but also expect the lead recycling fee to be permanent.

What glass enclosed lead is in the CRT is stored in the safest possible manner which will take many thousand years to extract. The standard test for leaching the lead out of glass requires that the CRT be ground down to dust, and attacked by caustics. The law is being applied equally to LCD's as well, which have almost no lead in the glass. The logic is that the recycling workmen cannot be expected to differentiate between a CRT and an LCD.

In California, we pay a $10 tax at the time of purchase on all CRT and LCD displays over 4" diagonal.

effect, we pay the recycling fees in advance. There are no added charges at the dump, and the tax allegedly goes to pay for the requisite special handling as anything containing lead is considered hazardous waste. Actual recycling and lead recovery is done by competative contract service companies. The proceedure for collecting the tax is 48 pages thick:
mostly deals with penalties imposed on merchants that can't decode the required collection proceedures. There are also Federal recycling rules which must be met:
108 pages.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Even though the people in my n'hood are not rich, I dont' get the feeling that many know how to fix much.

That's ok. I'm usually the last stop before things can't be repaired by an amateur. And pros don't want to bother.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm