recycling tv's etc.

Page 4 of 4

Hey David
I wonder what it is that causes us to abandon projects without finishing them? My shop is full of half done designs and modifications that seemed like the most important thing in the world when I started them ...
Arfa
Arfa Daily spake thus:

Short attention span.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really

The realisation that Mt Everest is not an afternoon's walk.
On 17 Oct 2006 14:45:42 -0700, "Beloved Leader"

I agree with you.
I once told the story of drivign down 2nd Avenue in NYC, somewhere in the 20's and seeing a big (though only 5 or 6 foot high dumpster full of books.
There were about 6 guys inside gathering books, plus I joined them of course. All hardback, on every subject. There were 3 kinds of people, those who would get in for a while, those who would just walk by, and those who would stand outside once in a while pointing to a book and asking someone to get it for them. How they could see the title on a hardback book with no dust cover, I don't know.
I got about 20 or 25 books the first day, and I went back 2 out of the next 4 days. The level of books kept getting lower. There must have been 20,000 to start, and maybe 10,000 when I stopped going. But they were probably adding more books every day also. (I had to come from Brooklyn.) The weather was beautiful every day. New Yorkers are used to finding good stuff in the trash, because most aparatments are small and even in the 70's people couldnt even keep a broken 12 inch tv waiting for a time to fix it. No room.
I got about 35 books in total.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..
[...]

AMAZED at what I find on the curbs when I visit family in NYC! Always want to take stuff home to CA, but not much room in the overhead bins for filing cabinets, etc. <g>
because most apartments are small

And you probably READ them! More power to you.
Just to mention: If one wanted to take the time & trouble, one could collect and donate to "minority/disadvantaged" public (and perhaps parochial?) schools that have tiny budgets than the Beverly Hills-type public schools with their higher property tax base.
I've done that; called schools and arranged to take them boxes of books and magazines. Eager, alert kids* can mine these donations for information that is not in their canned textbooks. And overworked/underpaid teachers can use these materials for lesson plans, clip art, etc.
* Yes, there ARE some!
Closing anecdote: Years ago I was on (camera) safari in Kenya. We'd stop at these villages - basically wide places in the road -- and visit the schools. Pathetic facilities; almost no basic supplies & teaching materials. I just boil, all these years later, thinking of how materials -- from paper to computers to AV equipment -- are disrespected and WASTED!
Grrr...people should see how the other 1/2 -- or rather 7/8 -- lives.
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

There were several overhead projectors thrown in the dumpster behind a branch of my city's public library last week. No one in the school or library system has any use for them. I assume that they made no effort whatsoever to find them a good home. I doubt that they even thought of offering them on Freecycle. If they had, though, it's possible that whoever took them would turn around and place them on eBay.

Apparently, some people would see that end result as a bad thing. For myself, I can't quite figure out why.
A lot of what's on TV may be "hazardous waste," but I've never had a problem getting rid of one. I put it on the curb and it disappears long before the garbage men get to it. <G>

It's interesting that you are still able to do that, there. Over here now, the eco-police in the form of the local council, would be liable to prosecute you. Under laws that were brought in in 1990, but have only started to be enforced since 1999, they can prosecute you for all sorts of garbage related 'offences', including leaving trash out on the street on the wrong collection day. My bin men come round at 7am, so everyone leaves their garbage out the night before. Strictly speaking, this can now be declared illegal, and subject to prosecution. A person was recently prosecuted, at a cost of 6000, for putting out her rubbish a day early, because she was going on holiday. In today's paper, there is a case of a man who has been fined 100 plus another 100 in costs, because a piece of junk mail with his name on it, was found in a bag designated as being for glass and tins only. The guy was actually taking part in the scheme voluntarily, but as a result, now has a criminal record, with all the job and travel-related implications of that. There was not even any CCTV or witness evidence to support the case and, despite the guy's insistence that he did not put the item in there, because it was not even his bag, the court declared the case proved. So how does nonsense like this encourage people to become more eco and recycle friendly ?
Arfa

IMO the UK is becoming ever more like Nazi Germany. Where, in this case is the actus reus let alone the mens rea? I doubt they could prove that the junk mail was even delivered to the accused - a lazy postman could have dumped it there.

It doesn't. Bureaucratic abuse as in your examples is very common when the value of revenue enhancement exceeds the value of the crime. The garbage collectors probably had a quota of violations that were necessary to make their manager look good. Lacking the necessary violations, planting the junk mail letter would have been expedient. Aggressive enforcement also helps the legal system perpetuate itself with a steady case load. Meanwhile, recycling continues as a minor aspect of the revenue enhancement.
I don't have any brilliant suggestions as to how to solve the problem. At one time, the bureaucratic overhead raised the cost of recycling auto batteries to the point where it was cheaper to leave them by the road side, than to do the manditory paperwork. So, a law was passed requiring that an old battery be supplied with every new battery purchase. That actually worked quite well and has resulted in a high lead recycling rate. Something similar could be done for major appliances and general recycling. Turn in your old whatever before you can buy a new one, or pay a huge deposit, fee, tax, or whatever. In effect, remove the penalty cost of not recycling from the grossly inefficient legal machinery, and move it to the commercial establishment at the time of sale. If anything, it might create a demand for items to recycle.
As for the lead content in CRT's, we've had this discussion before. Briefly, there's very little lead in todays CRT's. http://www.eiae.org/chemicals/files/EIA_CRT_5-01.pdf At this time, all CRT glass manufacturers in the USA are shipping so called no-lead CRT glass. Unfortunatly, there is still some lead in these CRT's and some CRT's have a temporary RoHS exemption. I expect all CRT's to be lead free in about 5-10 years, but also expect the lead recycling fee to be permanent.
What glass enclosed lead is in the CRT is stored in the safest possible manner which will take many thousand years to extract. The standard test for leaching the lead out of glass requires that the CRT be ground down to dust, and attacked by caustics. The law is being applied equally to LCD's as well, which have almost no lead in the glass. The logic is that the recycling workmen cannot be expected to differentiate between a CRT and an LCD.
In California, we pay a $10 tax at the time of purchase on all CRT and LCD displays over 4" diagonal. http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Electronics/Act2003 / In effect, we pay the recycling fees in advance. There are no added charges at the dump, and the tax allegedly goes to pay for the requisite special handling as anything containing lead is considered hazardous waste. Actual recycling and lead recovery is done by competative contract service companies. The proceedure for collecting the tax is 48 pages thick: http://www.boetaxes.ca.gov/business/Vol4/Fcp/fcpl.pdf which mostly deals with penalties imposed on merchants that can't decode the required collection proceedures. There are also Federal recycling rules which must be met: http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/recycle/electron/crt.htm http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-WASTE/2006/July/Day-28/f6490.htm Only 108 pages.
--
Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Even though the people in my n'hood are not rich, I dont' get the feeling that many know how to fix much.
That's ok. I'm usually the last stop before things can't be repaired by an amateur. And pros don't want to bother.
Remove NOPSAM to email me..
On 17 Oct 2006 21:05:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:

Neither have I, but I am 59 and I've reached my limit. I have twelve 12" tv's, half color and have black and white, that I have tried or will try to fix, and about twelve 19" tvs, all color, that I haven't tried to fix yet but will give them maybe an hour each. But now I have 3 more than I can use 19 inch that work, all from the trash. In the last couple years, most that I have found still work.
And last week I found a 24 or 25 inch model. So far it only gets 2, 4 (DC), 11, 13, and 24, but that's using the autofinder. I have to set a remote to try other stations we have, and if it gets them all, or even channel 3, I'll use all my strength and get it down to the basement. It must be fairly old, or maybe it is because of the picture tube, because it is heavier than other recent 19inch tv's, and bulky, and I have ready dropped the thing once, breaking the plastic things the back is screwed to. But I can glue that together well enough.
But I'm not taking it downstairs until I know it works, so it has been on the front sidewalk covered by a blue mesh tarp for the last 8 days.
Anyhow, what is the point of fixing tv's that I don't need and will be almost obsolete in 2? years. (Almost because I'm not buying 7 new tv's and there won't be any on the sidewalk for a few years, so I'm going to buy one adapter and use one central place for tuning all the tv's.
And I can't strip them because I'm out of room for storing such parts. So 24 tv's or more are going to go out pretty much in one piece during the next 4 months. Plus I have a small xerox machine that according to the paperwork I found with it, the previous owner didn't want to pay to have it fixed, and I don't think I can. And a big but light laser printer that needs a new heater, that I got for free or under 5 dollars, and it wasn't worth fixing.

But they won't. This is why I'm pretty sure the trash man will still take tv's, because for a lot of people, it will be an incredible chore to go to this one place in central baltimore county, 20 or 30 miles from where some people live.

I do that too. So far the fastest I've gotten was 200 MHz, but it was a Dell also and I wanted one for a particular reason.

I just want to get a 1" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" plastic piece that says Kenmore on it, from a refrigerator at the waste disposal place, but I haven't found one yet. I knocked the piece off and it should be on the floor in my kitchen somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. If I order the part, it will probably be 325 dollars.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

In Seattle, you have to pay normally to get rid of tv's and monitors. They won't take your garbage if they are seen in it.,
Bob