recycling tv's etc.

Page 3 of 4

Yes. I only need the TV's to last a year. A lot of people are junking them for plasma etc.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

In my neighborhood, we have "heavy trash" pickup once a month. I call it "foraging night." In addition to a shop-vac, a recliner, and other goodies, my prize is a WW2 jerry can. It's a military five-gallon gas can and is in perfect shape. What makes this one so neat is the stencil on the bottom:
09-44 IIIArmy
You can Google for the exploits of the US 3rd Army in September 1944. This very gas can may have helped liberate the 101st Airborne at Bastonge in December 1944. Who knows?
HeyBub wrote:

Not very likely. Most of the low cost types of equipment was left behind because it cost more to bring it back, than the cost to replace it. It was probably being readied to be shipped overseas and never made it. Millions of dollars worth of military gear was sold for pennies on the dollar at the end of WW II, because they no longer needed it, and the cost to build warehouses for long term storage would have cost more than it was worth.
--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

HeyBub spake thus:

Well, I was asking about freecycle.org. But since you mentioned it, FreeStuffAtTheCurb.yourtown.org is actually, to me, a better method of exchange than freecycle. At least there's always plenty of stuff to choose from, and no stupid "moderators" to deal with.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm a member of that group too. I used to put a lot of stuff on Freecycle, but I found it much easier just to put things out at the end of the sidewalk with a sign on it, "FREE - GRATIS." That way, people who don't own computers have a crack at having my old stuff. It disappears in broad daylight; it disappears after dark. All I care about is that it disappears.
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Freecycle is great, if your local group isn't fully moderated and operated by Nazis.
The local group is run that way. The moderators kick people off left and right, for breaking their latest unwritten rules. If you get multiple requests for something, no matter who you choose, they object to your choice. Its supposed to go to the first request. Its to go to the person who needs it the most. Its supposed to go to someone who checks the list once a month, then complains she has never received anything from the group, even though it was picked up two weeks before she replied to the offer. You can't give it to someone who gives lots of things away, because they can't possibly need it, and on and on.
I gave away a lot of stuff, and got some computer scrap, but when I asked if anyone had any empty ink cartridges so I could refill the to test a couple printers, I was banned for life. Then I got several nasty e-mails from the two moderators who accused me of everything but being white. They made threats, and accused me of having a flea market business and selling over 100 working computers that I supposedly received through the group. I am 100% disabled, and get to the flea market about twice a year. Just be careful.
There is no Craig's list for my area, but I am trying to get enough people to request it.
prove it.
??

Contact the city government and tell them what you want to do.
Beloved Leader wrote:

You can easily intercept a lot of good stuff if you post on craigslist asking for free broken electronics. I used to pick up loads of good stuff but eventually I had far too many projects and no need for any more electronics.
[...]

I have a killer 3-head 3-motor SONY open-reel tape deck that I'm going to put on Craig's List (along with a ton of free tapes). A real classic. If you're anywhere near Santa Monica CA, maybe you're interested? For money, not love.
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

Thanks, but I already have three Teacs. I paid $1 for the first one, at a church rummage sale, in 1992. No one could make it work. It was missing the shorting plug in the back where the hardwired remote control plugged in. I added a lead shorting the two appropriate pins, and it worked flawlessly.
The next Teac was left out for the trash. I saw it on one of my after-dinner walks. I picked it up, intending to carry it a mile back home. I had to stop a few times on the way to catch my breath. Do you know that a 7" three-motor Teac weighs 55 pounds?
James Sweet wrote:

The same with some thrift stores. I make regular pickups from three local stores, every other week.
prove it.

There are some silly laws that say once something is in the dump, it must stay there. Our town used to have an area where you could put unwanted stuff for others to take, but no more.

Our town periodically has special drop-off days at the recycling facility for discarded TVs & other electronic devices.
Aspasia
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You can thank the lawyers for that. Someone drags something home, gets hurt, then sues the owner of the dump.
prove it.

I suspect that this is a regulation, not a law. And it's probably because the people running the dump are absolutely convinced that some shithead is going to haul a gas-powered appliance out of the dump, cut their finger, have the appliance blow up, (explaining why it was in the dump in the first place) and then sue them.
What you need to do is set up a non-profit junkyard.
Goedjn spake thus:

Like Urban Ore, in Berkeley, CA, which, while not exactly a "junkyard", is a store with items that would otherwise be in the dump. There are many places like it sprouting up all over the country, and, I'm sure, the world. I've gotten all kinds of good stuff there.
Interestingly, UO started as an operation *at the dump* way back in the good old days, where people would retrieve potentially useful items before they were bulldozed under, lay them on tables, and you could go and take them for free. I heard that this system lasted a couple of years before it was shut down by the "sanitary landfill" authorities.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
Goedjn wrote:

I already have one. I call it "home."

Chuckle. I resemble that remark, or at least my house does. It runs in my family- when my grandpa passed, it took us a month to empty the basement.
aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

I've decided the goal in life should be to have as much crap and unfinished projects around when you die.