recycled asphalt

I live on a dirt road. One of my neighbors has suggested we cover the dirt road with ground-up recycled asphalt. Someone told him it cheaper then gravel and will last longer. He said it packs down as you drive on it. Has anyone tried using this stuff and if so, is it cheaper then gravel or crushed rock?

I live in the central Florida Panhandle, and it's commonly used for that purpose, and works very well. But they don't then use gravel or rock.
They use it on a road where I live and it seems to hold up really well considering that fact that it is always driven on by heavy trucks and tractors. At some point it does start to give though so it would take multiple years and applications to get a nice thick base.
Chuck B. wrote:

I have never heard of it used in that fashion. Around here it is all recycled by heating it adding some additional asphalt and then re-using it as standard asphalt paving.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I have seen it used as road underbase, on rural roads and in carparks instead of pavement or gravel. I wouldn't call it recycled ashpalt, it is just crushed asphalt. The downside that I have seen is it is VERY dirty, a lot of black tar dust that tracks everywhere, especially when first spread out.

Used on our gunclub road - 1/2 mile - about 5 yrs ago. Packed nicely and holding up to the slow traffic as well as the heavier, County Fair useage.

C & M wrote:

it's feasible. Chuck B.
I used it on some campground roads, spread as delivered. It never really knitted together as promised. This was likely due to the lack of direct sunlight on the roads and being in the northeast vs. in Fla or something. Its cheap though and equivalent or better than gravel yet will not replace asphalt.
-B