Recovering the bottom of a brass table lamp?

I have a brass table lamp, and the felt or cork bottom has come off. So now, the lamp bottom is open, with the rough brass edge scratching the furniture something awful.
Rather than replacing the lamp, I'd like to just cover its bottom. Are there kits sold for this process (and if so, where would I find them)? Otherwise, is the best way to do this to just stretch out some felt, put glue on the lamp base, put the lamp on the stretched felt, then trim off the excess when the glue dries?

Yep

yes, you can do that. you can get thick felt stick on replaceable pads at a hardware store (home depot, loews, etc).

You can buy a roll of cork at WalMart, auto section. Billiard felt is a good choice too. Trace the footprint, carefully cut 1/16" inside the line, and glue with contact or rubber cement. I applied felt to cast iron lamp bases and it works well and does not show.
Nope, I'm afraid you're going to have to discard the lamp.
I bought some felt at the hardware store. One side was covered with paper and you peel it off like contact paper - and the felt is sticky. I used it on a lamp but I was able to put it over the old piece. I have also cut it out to fit the legs on chairs so they won't have wood scratching the floor....don't like those round knobs you buy. Can't get them level.
Dorothy

You can get sheets of adhesive felt at most craft stores. I have bought it at Michaels. I've also seen larger amounts of it available on rolls. This is a much better option than using plain felt and glue.
Wayne