Reconditioned vs. New

What is the general consensus regarding the purchase of reconditioned tools vs. new? Yes, I know new is new but I see most, if not all, manufacturers offer the complete warranty and incentives with a reconditioned tool as you would a new. Of course, name brand is a consideration, therefore, let's assume it's a name brand item such as Dewalt, Ridgid, Delta, Bosch, PC, Milwaukee, Makita and so on. but not interested in Ryobi, Craftsman, Stanley and Skil, though, they may have some higher end tools, I prefer what the pros use. Therefore, would you purchase a reconditioned tool?

Reply to
SBH

*I purchased a Bosch RotoZip last year from Amazon. The price was good and I got some good accessories with it. I bought a recon because I knew I would only be using it about once a year. So far no complaints.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Absolutely. Often the the refurbs are tools off the production line that had some minor fault. Others may be brand new superceded models. CPO is one company that does refurbs and new. The Bosch power hand saw I bought there a couple months ago had no signs at all of ever having been used. My suggestion is to compare Amazon for new with CPO for refurb and choose wisely.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I only have one data point; I bought a 3/8" DeWalt drill reconditioned, and I've been impressed with the little thing. It's handy when I just have a small job to do and don't want to break out the big Milwaukee.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When purchased from the manufacturer this way, reconditioned does not mean "used". How would they even get hundreds or thousands of one model of tool to resell?

It means they were pulled from the warehouse and a certain part checked or replaced in most cases. Once they were packaged for sale, they generally cannot be opened, checked, repacked and sold as new. If anything, they are

*better* than the ones that are already sold.

It can also mean they wish to start marketing an updated model.

Most of my major power tools are recons. They have all functioned perfectly for years.

Reply to
DT

-snip-

For tools, & most major appliances I agree. I've bought tons of refurbs & never gotten stung.

Electronics are a different animal- I would only buy them as refurbs after I was sure their warranty was as good as stated.

Jim [my latest refurb was a Bosch compound miter saw. Cheaper than the used ones on ebay/craigslist- and good as new AFAICT.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Depends on what it is, what the discount is, and where you buy it. I'd never touch a reconditioned from a civilian outlet like Big Lots, because it is most likely a service return that may or may not have been properly repaired. But from the manufacturer's own 'factory outlet' (if I was sure it in fact was such), probably. Mostly depends on how much of a price break, on how expensive a tool. On a hundred-dollar tool, I won't risk my time for ten bucks discount. If it is several hundred, and the discount is a hundred, it looks like a better gamble. A key factor to consider is the risk if it fails- is this for personal or hobby use, or do you use it to put bread on the table, and customers will be standing there tapping their foot if it fails? Not always a deal breaker, if you KNOW you can immediately run out to the Borg or Sears and buy a replacement if needed, and write it off to the luck of the draw.

All of the above applies if you are buying tools for yourself. If you are providing tools to a crew, best to regard them as consumables, and buy 'good enough'. More will grow legs or get abused to death, than have actual quality failures. IMHO, 'must provide own tools' (other than real high-dollar specialty tools) is the way to go with mobile employees. Gives them an incentive to treat them well and keep track of them, even if you have to pay the employee a little more.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If your store sold DeWalt drills for $150, would you be PO'd if DW sold them direct for $90? Sure you would. So, they call them reconditioned and you can't complain. I'd say 95% or more are brand new, just marked recon to sell at a factory outlet price.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My father in law was a professional machinist and woodworker. He swore by refurbished tools. He felt that the refurbished tools were better because they had the careful going over that new tools didnt receive.He may have not been right on this count but I never saw anything that proved him wrong in his collection of tools.

JImmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I purposely look for reconditioned tools. Ive had nothing but good luck with them. Bought a reconditioned 14.4 Porter Cable hammer/driver cordless 7 years ago and it was my best drill. It was stolen 3 weeks ago and I was PISSED!!! I went to get another and they have stopped offering them. But after looking at the new PC's I bought a Milwaukee. Smaller and lighter!

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Your father-in-law is/was right: all the refurbished and reconditioned stuff is actually checked over, unlike the brand new stuff, which is spot checked during manufacture. Refurbished is a great way to buy electronics at a much more reasonable price with a fair warranty (think Apple products).

Reply to
KLS

Hi, Other than saving some money, I did not have bad experience with recon'd tools, electronic stuffs from manufaturer. Some are just repacked open box item returned. I am just a home owner who a lot around house.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, if i have the choice then i like to purchase the reconditioned tools. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

wilsonmian