reconditioned tool question

I run across a fair number of "factory reconditioned" power tools. I'm wondering why the factory would end up with a whole bunch of reasonably current tools to recondition?
Is this sometimes indicative of an inherent problem with that particular model? If so, does the problem usually get corrected in the reconditioning, or are you just buying a like new unit with the same old problem?
I'm just trying to figure out if reconditioned tools are good deals or something to be leary of.
RB wrote:

Various reasons...many are last year's model, dealer overstock, etc. I don't know how many are actually just returns from the jokers who buy a tool for one project and then find/create an excuse to return it to seller who can't resell it for new.
I've bought several name brand reconditioned hand tools and so far have never had one I was dissatisfied with. They typically are somewhat of a bargain, but not necessarily a real steal.
I've also bought almost all PC's, for example, as refurb'ed or discontinued models where there was no need for the "latest/greatest" and have also there never had a system that wasn't at least as reliable as the newest from whomever.
IMO, $0.02, YMMV, etc., .... :)
I agree with Duane. I have purchased refurbed tools for years and have had less problems with them than new items. I would stick with name brands though. A refurbed PorterCable is way better than some generic new.

The are fresh from the factory in most cases. Black & Decker sells a lot through outlets in some Factory Outlet Malls. In order not to piss off the local retailers by underselling them, they call the items "reconditioned" or "seconds" or whatever.
OK. Good info. Thanks.