recommended flapper for Douglas brass flush valve?

After some recent, occasional loss of commode water with fill valve running briefly throughout the day, I decided to do the dye test. After

20 min, dye showed up in the bowl so I concluded it was the flapper or flush valve. As a precaution, I decided to upgrade the flush valve from the Fluidmaster plastic to what was originally in the commode, a Douglas brass valve.

The problem is that, despite both fill (Fluidmaster plastic replacement) and flush (Douglas brass) valve replacements, I'm still getting water loss from the tank overnight with incoming water turned off. This morning, I decided to drain the tank water to where there was just enough to be even with the flush valve protrusion to hopefully determine, once and for all, whether it is the flush valve seal or flapper causing water loss. After waiting several hours, the water level remaining hasn't changed and no dye in the bowl, so it must still be the flapper allowing water in.

When I replaced the flush valve, I used the Lasco-04-2103 Douglas pattern toilet valve on Amazon (for some reason, I can't post with the link). Also, under the picture of the valve there is a "frequently bought together" and I bought the two items there too (Master Plumber

225-052 universal fit toilet tank ball and brass rods that go with it).

Now I'm wondering if this was the correct tank ball at all or whether I should have gone with a different one? Also, should something be placed on or around the Douglas valve rim (where the tank ball sits when tank is full of water)? Seems like just rubber against brass isn't going to cut it.

Anyway, any help would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks much, Bill

Reply to
Bill Baxter

I once had a flapper that leeaked quite a bit, I'd have to take the toilet bowl brush and push the flapper into the hole to stop it. It took 4 months or more to seal the tank on its own.

I would have changed flappers but it had the same make and number as the model I'd used many times without any problems, and came from the same batch as one or two that had worked fine.

IOW, you got a bad one but after a while it may fit fine.

Reply to
Micky

I ended up contacting the manufacturer directly and their tank ball is different than the "universal" ball I am using now, plus it's about 2x the weight so I ordered one.

Thanks again for any help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Baxter