Recommendations on recirculating hot water pump?

I am looking to replace a Watts hot water pump on our recirculating hot water line and would like some recommendations on a good replacement. We are not happy with the Watts pump for 2 reasons: (1) this is the second one that has broken down in 3 years, so their reliability seems poor (2) the Watts pump seems to cause hot water to back up into our cold water line (despite check valves and an expansion tank), and in looking into it more it seems to be more designed for a system that is not a closed loop. Our system is a complete loop all the way around the house and back to the pump so we would prefer a type designed for that type of system, as I'm thinking that is the reason the cavitation occurred with the last one.

I've tried looking online for replacements, but quickly got confused as there isn't a whole lot of description on the proper uses for each pump, just its hp rating and connections. We've got threaded pipe on the intake and outtake of our current pump. Anybody have a good recommendation for a replacement?

Reply to
Actor123

What's the motor rating on the present unit, either amps or watts?

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'm not sure. Its this model here:

Actor123

Does the unit run on electricity?? If so, look at the unit, it should say something like 110-120V, XX Watts, or 110-120V, XX amps.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My Grundflos pump worked reliably for 30 years. There are others. The weak spot might be the timer. Buy a separate timer.

Reply to
John Keiser

"Actor123" wrote

I don't know about exact compatibility with your system, But Grundfos pumps are very reliable.

Ed Pawlowski

If the water is backing up into the cold line, that is a system design flaw, not the pumps fault. If there is cavitation, there is probably air in the system. Put an automatic air bleed valve on a high spot in the pipe ahead of the pump to keep air from getting to the pump.

Reply to
Bob F

B&G, Grundfos, Taco are commercial pumps, just go to your local plumbing supply store and pick up one. Ive had B&G on boilers that never failed after 30 years, I have a Grundfos on a 24hr system the first one lasted 5 years. Is it the motor or pump that fails, is it getting correct voltage?

Reply to
ransley

I've use this one for over ten years.

aasberry