Recommendations on fireplace tile color?

I'm starting a home project in which I will be covering the wall surrounding a fireplace with drywall (its currently all brick all the way to the ceiling). I will then be putting some sort of tiling around the fireplace itself and the raised hearth, without going all the way to the ceiling. I will then have a mantle above the tile, and then wall above the mantle (for artwork).

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look - nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant. The floors in that room are a dark brazilian cherry and the walls are light tan. As a general rule, I tend to prefer light colors, but if that would make it not go with the dark cherry wood floor then I am flexible on that. Any suggestions as to tile type/color?

Many thanks

Reply to
Actor123

Phisherman

Black. Grout too.

Reply to
dadiOH

large granite or marble tiles in a dark color.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Yep, black tile is the best bet for most fireplaces. It presents a clean, elegant transition from the grotty ashes, cinders, and soot to the rest of the room, assuming it's not a gas fireplace of course.

Black will also work with pretty much everything, no matter what color the room is painted in the future.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Yep. I picture a black, veined granite or marble tile with some kind of border with earthy tones, in the room with the cherry wood dark floor and tan walls. (The walls of course can easily be painted to something else, but the combination sounds beautiful as it is..)

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Anything "natural" would be fine. Light may be better than dark since you have dark floors. If you are using natural materials it will have a texture and variable color. If you use a man made tile, I'd tend to stick with the earth tones. A splash of color in a border or insert can look good but since you want elegant, you know already to avoid the gaudy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski