Recommendations for fixing leaky outdoor t-handled faucets (some of which are embedded in the foundation)?

Bought a house where many of the ouside faucets leak from the t-shaped screw handle at top.
Just wondering, is it worth "fixing" these? If not, what's a good replacement strategy?
I would tend to replace them with the ball type with a nice long handle but some of these leaky outdoor faucets seem to come right out of the foundation with no joint visible. (Why do they build them that way anyway?)
Do you recommend "fixing" the existing faucet with the t-shaped handle? Or is there a better solution?
For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?

How is the faucet attached to the pipe? Soldered?
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:04:17 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It'w weird. Some are clearly screwed on (those I am sure I can remove); while others, the pipe goes right inside the house foundation. Since I haven't been on the other side of the foundation (crawl space) I don't know how they attach. I've a mind to saw them off and then attach some threads somehow, on the outside, where they belong! :)
I know I can eventually replace the whole set of faucets ... or fix them ... but I was more looking for advice from the experienced.
For example, a leaky radiator is rarely worth "fixing"; you just replace it (and any hose within ten feet vicinity) if you know what's good for you in the long run.
I'm just not sure since I don't have experience with outdoor faucets if it's "worth" fixing them or if I should replace them.
I hate the fact they always sieze up so if I do replace 'em I would want the longest term replacement. I think that's a ball valve. The only thing I don't like about most ball valves is that the handles seem too short.
I hate the T handles and I hate the round handles. What I like is a nice loooooong lever. It's hard to find them in faucets though (I have them in all my shutoffs though).
So, just looking for advice.

See Oren's message and let us know the results.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:28:23 -0700, "James H."

Turn the water supply off first. Remove the bonnet nut and take the stem to a hardware store. Match the stem up with the correct size. Then install the new stem.
I have one hose bib in the garage that is soldered on. Replacing the stem/valve was fast and easy.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:24:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

I might have to do that for the ones I can't replace.
For the ones I can replace, do you have any suggestions for a good RELIABLE ball valve with a good loooooong easy-to-turn handle?
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:44:59 -0700, "James H."

I know you want a long handle, however look at the ball valve hose bib with a 1/4 turn handle. HD carries them in my area.
Needs new packing materials for under the nut, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

just tighten the nut the t handle goes thru, that will likely fix the drip.......