Recommendations for a WIDE laundry-area door?

I have a newer house with a laudry area that was to have some kind of folding door. COntractor never found one I liked. It is 8-feet wide and I'd like to put some kind of accordian-style door, BUT NOT A CHEAP PLASTIC TYPE.

DOes anyone hhave a suggestion or recommendation for a WOOD type? I would love to find a manufacturer that has 6-inch wide louvers that are folded in two groups, each 4-feet wide when opened. Wood is my choice, and 6-inch width instead of the commonly available 1-foot wide louvers.

Anyone seen something like this?

Reply to
Mark Harris

You're looking for a custom door, not something bought off the shelf. You'll put a smile on the counter persons face when specifications are given for your wants. You do realize the panels will have to have hinges on every panel, probably 3 hinges per panel, or a piano hinge. That's a ton of hinges. Being an accordion operation, everyother hinge will be visable and not hidden. 6" panels, you probably won't get any gaurantee against warpage. Who knows, they probably can treat them in some fashion to gaurantee against warping for some ridiculous cost. Actually probably not feasible or realistic unless price isn't a factor.

Reply to
Gunner

Normally a set of doors made of 4 x 12" panels would suffice.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Hi, My last house built in 1976 had those doors by Anderson. Was real wood panels and accordion type. I had two in that house. Wonder if they still make them. How about a pocket door for a compromise? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Probably not, and for good reason. 8 feet wide is considerably beyond what consitutes a *door* opening. At that width, it's even past what would constite a hallway, for that matter.

At 8 feet wide, exactly what in blazes are you washing in that house of yours -- grand pianos and semi trucks????

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll start focusing on 12" wide panels, using 4 panels per side, and seeing if their is a way to mounted them on the side wall with them 'riding' in a track above. When folded, the 12" panels will protrude 6" into the laundry area, and 6" into the adjoining room. Not a bad compromise.

Thanks all,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Harris

Not really, if the wall (doorway) is 4" thick, they'll stick 4" into each room.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here