Recommendation for reflective shade for horizontal skylight

I'd like to add a reflective shade (insulated would be even better but reflection is primary) on the interior of my existing horizontal skylights ranging from about 2x2' to 2'x6'. I have at least 6" of vertical mounting room in the skylight wells.

I live in Philadelphia where the summer heat buildup is a real killer.

Does anyone have recommendations for a specific brand that would be good quality?

Also, are there any gotchas for this kind of retrofit? The one I'm aware of is that an interior shade could build up a LARGE amount of heat and thus high temperature in the space between the shade and the skylight, presumably leading to potential damage. I'd plan to deal with this aspect by cracking the skylight open during the day.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Reply to
AEngineerDU

Forget the shade thing, just open the skylight...all the hot air will go zipping out. If the skylights are at the top of a chase, I wouldn't even bother opening them...all the hot air is in the top of the chase and doesn't migrate out.

Reply to
dadiOH

It would be best to go with shades from the manufacturer of the skylight, if you know who made them. I have Velux skylights and they offer a wide assortment of shades. They have external, remote controlled ones to address heat buildup. Perhaps they will fit your skylights, check the sizes.

DT