Recommendation for a good washer/dryer

I am looking for a good reliable washer/dryer within $1200 range I don't need any fancy stuff. Just good quality long lasting machines.

Reply to
Alex

That kind of money will buy some good stuff. Last year we replaced a 22 year old Maytag with an Amana washer. So far it is excellent. The Maytag dryer is still going. These two brands (same corporate ownership) seem to be high quality.

One factor to consider when buying is the ease of repairs if ever needed. While clean clothes is important, reliability is very strong.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think it is a gamble, nobody knows where parts are made anymore with all the globalisation and searching of cheap labor. Consumer reports usualy has a repair rating comparison. But you will never really know. It seems cheap , cheaply made is our way of life now for many apliances. My Sears door switch was never tightened, it broke off. My 3 yr old sears dehumidifier is fine, My new sears this year had 2 defects in 1 week, got my money back.

Reply to
m Ransley

Miele and other European appliance manufacturers are marketing their energy-efficient washer/dryers in North America nowadays. They are worth a look because they are Energy-star rated and save you money over the life of the machines. They are compact, can be located under-counter similar to a built-in kitchen dish washer, use less water to get equivalent clean clothes, less electricity to dry and have good engineering and reliable build. I've seen that GE is also producing washer appliances along the same lines, moving away from the larger American top-load, oscillating washer design towards a smaller European front-loading drum washer design. My local Home Depot had the GE units, a washer/dryer pair costing around $1200 CDN.

Reply to
Robert MacKinnon

i recently purchased KENMORE front loading washer and dryer, and i love it!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

When my old Whirlpool washer died last year, I replaced it with an entry-level Maytag. I love the Maytag - it does more than I will ever need. It also has a huge tub, so I can do the wash in fewer loads. Cost - about $400.

My aunt's 30 year old Maytag dryer died last year and she replaced it with another Maytag, which works great. It's sitting beside the 30 year old Maytag washer - the survivor of the original set - that is still going strong.

Sara

Reply to
Sara

OK, Alex, I guess I'll add my $.02. I'd stay with a Whirlpool - made topload washer and midline, 29" (wide) dryer right now. Best reliability for the buck, you'll find warranty service most anywhere if needed, and you'll have enough change left over from your $1200 to buy a Christmas present or two.

Hope that's worth $.02 to you .

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

I've never gone wrong buying GE large appliances. They hold up well, and even better parts are still available for appliances two decades old.

And for $1,200 you can pick anything you want anyway...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran