Recommend screw extractors that work?

Read the subject line.

nb

Reply to
notbob

You don't know what you are talking about.

Reply to
tnom

Now we know for sure that you don't know what you are talking about.

Reply to
tnom

yeah, if you have a drill bit that will drill through a decent tap... I want some!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I use a Dremel tool with an abrasive/diamond bit for the hardest stuff. There have been times when the little rotary tool comes in handy for cutting slots in broken head studs on generators so I can use a screwdriver to back them out. I've also used the Dremel tool to dig a hole in a broken stud to get a screw extractor in it or to start a hole for a drill bit. The tool can used to cut out a broken tap too.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You mean grind............How do you grind a 1/4x20 tap a 1/2 inch long in a hole with a Dremel without grinding the bores threads off. You must have a lot of time and an extremely steady/accurate hand.

Additionally how do you get the center of the abrasive tip to grind when you plunge, seeing how it's surface speed is minimal.

Reply to
tnom

You have to be kidding. Have you ever even set foot into a machine shop?

Videos are cheap to make and post. Show me a tap that you can drill out. Then mill one out. This should be easy for you. You have said you've done it many times.

Reply to
tnom

First there is no doubt that carbide can cut hardened steel however carbide made for steel is extremely brittle. The intermittent cuts that would take place for 90% of all broken taps would make it a bad and expensive choice.

Second, nice try at deflecting your response to the OPs question

Reply to
tnom

This guy is so full of crap, I hadda defrag my HDD!

nb

Reply to
notbob

You pretend to be a dentist. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have a little mig welder at home and we have a couple at work. I always use this method and it has never failed. I just build up the broken bolt a little at a time. Bzzt, bzzt, bzzt... Either grab the nub with vice grips or weld a nut over it. It might take a few tries. And not too hot-- don't want too much penetration as to weld the bolt completely over! I used to do this all the time in an automotive machine shop.

Reply to
Fishface

That works, but I've found that if someone used a crappy, low-quality bolt, that it's damn near impossible to get weld to stick to it. Fortunately, those are the same bolts that are easiest to drill out.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You can drill high speed steel with a solid carbide bit available at any good machine shop supply.

They are very pricey however and also very fragile. You also can get high speed steel bits that have carbide tips brazed on. Those tend tobreak also but it is easier to extract the broken bits of carbide rather than having a big chunk of broken drill in a broken tap.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

replying to bobmct, Joe wrote: How do I get new wheels for my old Atlantic Suitcase

Reply to
Joe

Buy a machine lathe and make them from some aluminum bar stock .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Wouldn't it be easier to clothesline one of those skateboarders and steal the wheels before they regain consciousness?

Reply to
rbowman