Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

Page 1 of 3
Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as none have base-unit batteries.
Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.
Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available from the usual big box stores in the US?
It is called a "Cellular Telephone."
G.S.
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH

basestation up to an Uninterruptible power supply.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
Gordon Shumway wrote:

anal about having large amounts of battery and generators for almost all of their stuff. The other carriers have minimal battery and a few trailer mounted generators that may have to cover a few states. Lots of folks just assume that it will work because they have never seen "behind the curtains". I don't work for any of the carriers but I have friends who do and there is an amazing difference between the carriers.
George wrote:

It's not carrier dependent. It's cordless pgone itself. When power fails wall wart does not work which inturn cordless base d
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!
On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Took Josh a while to come up with a good reply.

Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have battery backup in the base and would work (for a while) in a power failure.
I had one...
danny burstein wrote:

I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the freezer powered or lose food . About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .
--
Snag

On 07/04/2016 09:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[snip]

I have my phone connected to a UPS. The last long (5 day) power outage was from last year's tornado, and the UPS didn't help since ALL the wires were down. Unexpectedly, cell phones worked (except immediately after the tornado, when they dropped a lot of calls).
BTW, that was just before 7PM and I didn't start the generator until next day. No frozen food was lost.
BTW2, that tornado was the only time I've been in really scary weather.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I have 3 cordless phones** and a base station with a wired phone. If the power goes out, some of the fancy functions of the base station don't work, but the phone does.
**I like my setup so much, I bought three more extensions. The Answer button one one of the original ones requires more pressure than it did, and they sell kits to repair those buttons, but the instructions are complicate, require takign the phone apart!!!, so it was easier to buy spare extension. Readers know how che.... thrifty I am, so the repair must have seemed really hard to me.
If the base station fails, I have another one of those somewhere, but it uses a cordless phone. I have a standard Western Electric phone in the basement but it's hard to reach. I'd find another phone and plug it in .

When there's a power failure, I just start eating. Ice cream first. Seafood second. Even after three days, the food was fine. Everyone in Baltimore wants compensation for lost food from the power company. I don't get it. No one has a smaller family than I do, and I never lose any food. Just don't open the door more than necessary.

I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet instead of 40.
I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see that in your Holler?
Two cell towers only a quarter mile away, so I suspect I have a good signal her.

Micky wrote:

It's not as much how deep The Holler is as the fact we're 10 miles from the nearest town in a sparsely populated area of the county . We're probably a few hundred feet below the highest point between us and town . We have to drive (or walk) a mile or so to high ground up on the highway to get a signal . Doesn't seem to block the wind , but AFAIK we've never had a tornado touch down here .
--
Snag

That'll do it.

I don't really know if it's blocking my wind or not. Maybe my neighbors half way up the hillls don't have much breeze either. But I think one reason people build their homes on the *top* of hills is to get a breeze. At least I think so.
I know the thread is old...
beware, if you have Verizon FIOS, even your wired phone will go dead during a power failure unless the Verizon ONT unit on the side of your house has a battery backup which Verizon feels YOU are responsible to maintain.
On 7/5/2016 8:42 AM, Micky wrote:

I'm halfway up a hill. The reason the house at the top was built there is because that was the lot that was for sale. Same as mine and every other house on the street.
On 7/4/2016 7:35 PM, danny burstein wrote:

I keep mine plugged into the UPS. Don't want to miss any robocalls during a power outage.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 02:35:34 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

the "wall wart" plugged into the UPS that also powers my network equipment. Works great.

It is recommended that you always have a hard wired phone available somewhere in the house for emergencies, as you found, cordless don't work without power and they also fail frequently. A hard wired phone can be real cheap to buy but a lifesaver.
EXT wrote:

For sure, and it is likely almost everyone has one (or more) in their "I am going to throw this away someday" junk box that could be left plugged in to the jack in the bedroom that is never used etc just in case.