Recommend anti-mildew paint pls?

Hi I have a sloping ceiling in a bathroom and water splashes on it from the shower causing the paint to peel. I was considering tiling the area of the ceiling but that is a big job for me, a friend recommended anti mildew paint, which he said could withstand the water. Can someone suggest flat, white, ceiling anti mildew paint that comes in a small size can? Thanks

Reply to
Unused Classified

KILZ brand has worked well for me over the years. I ~think~ you can get it in less-than-gallon sizes, but it wouldn't hurt to buy a gallon, put 2-3 coats on, and then "craigslist" the rest to someone in need.

Best of luck!

Reply to
xparatrooper

Why mildew paint, you didnt mention mold. Flat absorbes water ,gloss oil wont. Its probably a prep -substrate, or quality paint issue. Go to a paint store and buy what they recomend of quality products. What is above the shower, a cold attic maybe. Ive seen a few places where that bath peeled from previous poor work. Even a gloss latex wont absorb as much water as flat. many things os previous work could affect a bath ceiling. Mold is dark in color use laundry bleach on it , if it changes color maybe its all got mold that is affecting the job, maybe mold is below the paint and paint wont stay on mold.

Reply to
ransley

I have a dropped soffit-like ceiling over our shower, it is used daily and I have never had a peeling paint or mold problem. Scrape it down to bare drywall, smooth/spackle and then follow the Kilz primer and final coat with a good quality paint. Check that there is insulation above the ceiling to avoid long-term condensation on the ceiling in the cold weather months.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Some sort of gloss would be best, also get an exterior paint that contains extra mildew/mold protection.

pa>Hi

Reply to
lastone222

they sell packages of extra mildew mold killer mixed with the paint when new. I used it it appeared to work well although I sold the home later

Reply to
hallerb

More stuff sticks to flat paint than to glossier paint - I use only alkyd semigloss for baths and kitchen. A good paint store can offer the right anti-mildew additive if you ask, but it shouldn't be necessary. I've never tried "bathroom" paint. Bathroom walls and ceilings can hold onto a lot of moisture. Last time I painted our bath, I ran the fan longer than normal after shower before starting to paint. My first brush stroke slid across the wet ceiling without leaving any paint on it! Dried it, ran another fan for a while and the rest of the job went nicely. The ceiling had had peeling and cracking beforehand due to leaks long ago in the condo above us. I hate paint prep, but am a fanatic about doing it right and have never had a paint job fail. First kitchen I painted with BM semi took numerous rough cleanings with Fantastic over the years and looked as good after 20 years as it did the day I painted it.

I leave our shower curtain open on both sides so air can circulate better...don't wipe it down after showers and it gets a tiny bit of mildew in a couple of grout joints that hold more water.

We also put a timer on our exhaust fan so it can run long enough to dry the bathroom after showers.

Reply to
norminn

When I bought deck stain and exterior house paint I had the paint salesman put in a packet of mildewcide, even though the paint/stain already has it in it. I live in one of those "hot and damp" areas where mold, mildew, and moss grows where ever it can. The extra mildewcide is well worth the extra dollar. Buy a quality paint formulated specifically for kitchen/bath. I have not seen it sold in quantities less than one gallon, but I'm in a smaller town with fewer shopping choices.

Reply to
Phisherman

Add some Floetrol to the paint according to directions or go to the paint store, not the big box stores and ask for recommendations.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

There is or used to be paint available here, originally it was always grey but later was available white, called 'fish-box paint'. Apparently it contained some kind of fungicide etc. It was used for fish pounds and fish wells in boats etc. You could perhaps ask about speaking with a knowledgeable representative of the paint supplier as a guide. We presumed it could be other colours.

Reply to
terry