Recommend a refrigerator brand?

Page 1 of 2
Our fourteen month old Samsung refrigerator has been condemned and we will be able to get a replacement from Best Buy. We want a side by side, with ice maker that makes plenty of ice, and is highly reliable. Any recommendations? Our refrigerator repairman recommended Whirlpool.

So would I, along with Kitchen Aid that they also make.

Do ya think maybe Consumer Reports might have some info on that, do ya, huh?
On 04/25/09 04:05 pm Charlie Darwin wrote:

Considering the contempt for CR expressed by many here, the OP probably was smart not to mention that publication even if he had consulted it.
Perce

I have a Whirlpool ES5PHA 26 cubic ft. side by side that we bought at Lowes. We paid 1300 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Works and performs exactly as advertised.
Sanity:

thank you, exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for
Charlie Darwin wrote:

Probably not, actually. Their most recent refrigerator comparo recommended an LG model, which I wouldn't put in *your* house. yes, I looked (at the library, so I didn't have to give CU any of my money.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If they do, just steer clear of whatever CR recommends. -Dave

Are you implying all those poor CR repair marks about Crysler vehicles is not really true? I hope you are right, then maybe the US auto companies have hope after all.
Phisherman wrote:

They also love to pan VW, who make great, durable cars.
And like I said, their most recent fridge review recommended an LG model.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
I've worked on many refrigerators. Whirlpool has always been simple, effective, and inexpensive to repair.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Mac Cool wrote:

I'd recommend the same, or GE, or one of the relabels of those two. Whirlpool seems to be slightly more highly recommended (I just went through the same purchasing decision recently so did lots of research and yes, asked here; I was leaning Whirlpool/Kitchenaid on reliability but ended up with a GE because of the layout of the freezer - we wanted a bottom-freezer model and the GE had more usable space. So far it has been fine albeit pricey, but it's only been in something like a month? I think?)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I would talk to people that own GE appliances, especially refrigerators. The highest breakdown and repair record. They have more recalls than General Motors had on it's cars.
Sanity wrote:

My highly unscientific research shows that they are still WAAAAY better than LG or Samsung. In the interest of domestic harmony we got the fridge with the freezer she liked best. The place that sold it also services them and due to the poor track record of ALL french door/bottom freezer fridges we popped for the extended warranty - it actually seemed like a good deal (they refund your money if you don't use it. Don't ask me how they make money on that deal, I'm not arguing with them.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
My parts house calls them "Generally Expensive".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Art wrote:

I had a GE cooktop that broke under warranty and GE would not honor the warranty. I thought that was the end of my buying GE appliances, but I bought a new GE microwave/oven built-in combo on craigslist to replace an old double oven. GE makes the only one that's the proper width. After 5 years I had to replace the door on the microwave (over $100), and the microwave portion was recalled due to some latching issue.
Mac Cool wrote:

Our 10 year old refrigerator is a Maytag. When we bought it, we first had tried two Amanas but they couldn't install them because the floor was not perfectly level and they said the frame on the Amana flexes so much that it required a perfect floor but that the Maytag had a more rigid frame and could be leveled easily.
So far so good, though we had a scare a couple of nights ago.
Now Maytag is owned by Whirlpool.
"Highly reliable" is hard to determine. You can get lucky and have a compressor work for 20 years or be unlucky and have it fail in 2 years.
In wrote:

As is Amana. And KitchenAid. And Jen-Air.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

Just plan on the icemaker breaking. Most of the time the Whirlpool icemaker will need a new "head". That is the timer plate assembly, 3 screws and $40. There are really only 2 types of icemaker GE and Whirlpool. The reason there are a couple dozen part numbers is the accessories and mounting hardware. (different wire bails and such)