Recirculation of air

Page 1 of 2
We have a three story (plus also basement) house.
During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to rise up.
The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to improve the speed of air circulation in general.
Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a decision to hire any outside help.
thanks
If you dont have a 3rd floor return you wont cool with the AC. Have one put in.

I will check what I have. I do have some sort of opening on 3rd floor, not sure of its p urpose, but I will check.
I had extra returns put in, in summer I try to close down a bit the first floor return, it helps.
Ignoramus3756 wrote:

For sure check. It could be a laudry chute.
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:36:21 GMT, Ignoramus3756

The standard aproach is to start working at a hvac company as an apprentice. Study hard and work your way up earning your apprentice liscense, journeymen, masters, refrigeration certification and NATE testing. Suck in about 10 to 20 yrs of this and you will soon understand why it "isnt rocket science". Either that or pay someone qualified to understand your problems. You can PayPal me $99 per simple question, $150 per involved question and $250 per technical question. Please, only one question per fee. :-) Bubba
You enjoying yourself bubba? You are a misfit to society and you cant read......he said he was going to hire a professional. he wasn't talking to you ok.
Bubba wrote:

and absolutely NO ONE gives a rats ass what you think or say so get off your knees. I dont need your services. Bubba
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:09:42 GMT, no one that you know

I thought you kill filed me? Proves you are a troll?
Bubba wrote:

And that shows exactly how much of a clue you have. Ive never kill-filled anyone. No need to. Sharpen your brain and try again. Bubba
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:23:21 GMT, no one that you know

Surely, there is no substitute for experience. On the other hand, it is helpful to understand "the issues" before talking to professionals. As you know, some of them are not looking after my interests, they only want to sell expensive goods and services. So when talking to such professionals, it helps to know what one needs and what one does not need.
Example, a few years ago lightning took out our A/C. I asked this newsgroup, messed around with a multimeter to realize that a particular board was at fault (speed controller, IIRC). I invited a "professional", and asked him to check things out before making recommendations. He promptly suggested to replace pretty much all electronics. I asked him what is the basis for his conclusion, he mumbled some nonsense, and it was clear that he was a liar or unqualified.
Then we invited another A/C guy, who replaced the board that I knew was bad, (he confirmed what I said) and the A/C is working to date at 1/3 the cost of what the first "professional" would cost.
So, yes, it does help to ask questions.
Dont waist your time today whith this group..........it is full of scared techs trying to scare the DYI people into calling a tech first.....they been ripping people off for years and are afraid when people DIY they find out how ripped off they were. Bubba if you had any confidence in your business you would share your info with the average guy......that would prove your sincerity.......dont worrie you would still get some work from the ones that screw up. When I used to repair tv's I allways told them how to do DIY if they wanted? Sooner or later they came back to me anyways. But when they came back they knew why they got charged what they got charged for. Some still bitched why I would charge 15 bucks for a front panel display light........ I would just point at the lights overhead.
Ignoramus3756 wrote:

All joking aside, it si good o get some training in the field. Somepoeple can learn in six months, others take years. Aptitudes vary greatly. Desire helps, as it is a driving force (motivation), but it isn't enough, alone, without aptitude and a degree of hands-on experience. Just sitting in a classroom for two yearswon't cut it. Apprenticeship training can be excellent, DEPENDING on WHO you are working alongsind and who you are working under. Some fig trees bear little or no fruit.
So it is in any field.
10 or 20 years? No way. Unless the trainee is dumb as a box of nails.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

10 or 20 years meaning:.................... you will always learn something new almost everyday. It never stops. If one thinks they know it all, they are full of _ _ _ _ . Bubba
Bubba wrote:

This might be the place to ask your question
www.airconditioner-help.com

Take your spam and shove it up your ass spammer.
I had that problem. Installing a return would have been a major project (like ripping out walls to remove fireblocks) and I even considered running the return down the side of the house, outside, but that too would have been a real project. I finally just bought a small window unit and put it in the third floor; it works pretty well, but we air condition only about three months a year, so I can afford to have the second unit running.
Ignoramus3756 wrote:

Not@home wrote:

I have a home just like that, www.hvactalkforum.com

AUTO to ON. This will run the circulating fan continously and can make a large difference.
Don Young

Unfortunately, it is already set this way. I will try to verify whether the ON setting is, in fact, working (easiest to do on a cool morning). Maybe the issue is that I set it to ON, but it is not in fact ON.