Reciprocating Saw

Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better than another??
Thanks.
davex1001, 6/9/2006, 9:38:19 AM,

I bought one from Harbor Freight for $19.99. The amount I have used it already has paid for itself. If you are not a professional it should work fine for you too. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber@95
badgolferman wrote:

That's what I did, and so far I have been happy with it. The one thing I will say is don't buy the blade pack. Go somewhere else and buy good quality blades.
Bill Gill
davex1001 wrote:

the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

I have to agree. Sometimes buying a tool on the cheap is penny wise and pound foolish. If you want a saw that's going to last, I'd second the Milwaukee suggestion. Sawzall is synonymous with reciprocating saws for a reason. Good luck with your purchase.
Look for a refurbished Super Sawzall to keep the price down. I have a PC Tiger Saw that I lend out so I can keep the SS.

LOL....But to be honest its true... My Milwaukee swwsal was a hand me down from my father ...and I am 62 years old... the odds of it ending up in my sons shop are honestly pretty good...
Bob G. BTW I purchased a Roybi 18 V battery powered one to use and keep at the "farm" ...did not last one summer...wasted money...
davex1001 wrote:

As you can tell from the responses, what is best depends on your planed use and needs. If it is going to be used professionally, then go for the Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Likewise if you need reliability and quality. If you need it for a rare non-demanding job, then you don't need that, the cheap Harbor Freight job may be fine.
I have a DeWalt cordless model. It has meet my needs, but I don't have demanding or a lot of needs.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:07:12 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I don't think I need a Sawzall, just a Sawsabit.

First of all, congratulations for using the proper terminology. Very few people seem to know what a recip saw is.
If you want the best, you still can't beat the original Milwaukee brand, Sawzall. For occasional use, I've used Porter Cable and Craftsman and they performed well. I've not price them lately, but for a ten or a twenty, go with Sawzall. If you are using it for one small job and the price is $100 less, I'd go with what was on sale.
What else is it called??
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

davex1001 wrote:

Sawzall (tm), demo saw, probably others.
Pete C.
davex1001 wrote:

People generically call it a sawzall.
I have heard it incorrectly called jigsaw saber saw saw

I saw a Ryobi electric reciprocating saw at Home Depot a few months ago for $59.00. For part time use by a homeowner it is not a bad way to go.

I had two Milwaukee's that I never did like, but Milwaukee is the best, right?. Got a Dewalt a while back and love it. Not sure what the difference is, the Dewalt just seems to "feel" better.

your point is extremely important... how a tool "feels" in you hand and how well it balances in you hand is very very important... My cordless drills are for the most part purchased my "feel" ....
Bob G.
Milwaukee is probably the best though any of the popular premium brand names are very good. Right now Toolking has a Dewalt 10.5 amp reconditioned reciprocating saw on sale for $59 as shown in the link below. That is a great deal on a powerful well built reciprocating saw. Reconditioned power tools are usually the ones that the purchaser returns in like new condition during the 30 day or so trial period and have a warranty - usually the same warranty as new. They go back to the factory to be checked over, repaired if necessary, and then sold as reconditioned. I have four reconditioned tools that all look and work like new [two Bosch, one Makita, and one Milwaukee].
http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productID 9

So what features do I look for??