Recessing Exterior Light Using Plastic Box

I am mounting an exterior light onto an existing wall (with siding installed) on my new (yet to be fully inspected) house. I want to recess the electrical box into the exterior wall so that the base of the light fixtgure is flush with the wall; however the "weatherproof" electrical boxes that I have found are primarily for mounting directly to the wall and are a little ugly. If this was an interior wall, I would simply buy an "old work" plastic ceiling box, cut a hole in the wall, and insert the box. However, is a plastic box okay for an exterior application? Is there a code requirement that I need to know?
Thanks
I'm not a fan of plastic old work boxes, but it's fine. You can also use a metal gem box , if the fixture isn't over six pounds

your address will determine code which varies by municipality and type of construction and use. local questions to your electrical inspector, where you paid for a permit, are ok.